Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New and confused about menopause  (Read 3375 times)

Andreac

New and confused about menopause
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »

Hi ladies,
I'm aged 44 and had pelvic radiation due to cervivcsl cancer at end of 2012. So basically nothing had happened below since my first dose. Was initially warned off hrt due to risk if cancer returning but the viewpoint changed. I made a decision to start it about 9 months ago due to painful joints and vaginal dryness. However my weight is increasing, my stomach is bloated and I'm suffering from spots on chin and forehead. I have just stopped taking it as feel so disgusted with how my body looks and feels. I'm due to go abroad next week and my body confidence is even lower now then when I finished cancer treatment. Not sure I have done the right thing going on hrt in first place and notvsure if I'm right to come off! Maybe the hrt is not at fault and this my body and mind now due to menopause thanks for reading. I'm on kliovance by the way

Taz2

Re: New and confused about menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »

Hi Andreac. You've certainly had a time of it but things will seem much better now that you have found us lot!

As you are such a young age and are now post menopausal it's considered important for your health to take HRT at least up to the usual menopause age of around 50/51. This is to protect your heart and your bones. There are lots of different types of HRT available and quite often it's necessary to try a few before hitting on the one that suits you best. You may find that a patch HRT gives you much less bloating than a pill one for instance as the patches are not metabolised by the liver and so don't cause as much digestive upset.

Regarding the vaginal dryness. HRT should help with this but also the pelvic radiation can cause a stiffening of the vagina and it's often necessary to use dilators to keep things supple "below". Were you given any advice on this? I guess you've seen the advice following pelvic radiation on the Cancer Research site?

It's a real shock when our body begins to look and feel different to what we've been used to. Some of the changes you mention could be down to you now being in menopause but you have also been through a treatment which must have been really challenging for your body. Don't be so hard on yourself.  :hug:

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Andreac

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »

Thanks Tax. Yes I have dilators and also a vaginal moisturiser on prescription so I was fullppy prepared for the changes down below but its still so uncomfortable during and after intercourse...I guess I thought hrt would be some sort of miracle cure. I'm waiting to see a gastroenterologist due to severe problems with tummy and bowels (you get my drift) following radiation so unsure if this could also be part of problem with bloating. My boobs are huge and hurt too so guessed it was hrt. I have not taken it for 2 _days in the hope some wate,r retention might subside but won't be able to see gp till August. Do you think I'll be ,OK or will I suffer more for coming off so abruptly? WillWill talk to go about Trying something else when I get back. Thanks so much for replying xx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »

I can see that it's really difficult to work out what's causing the bloating but I would think that some of it is to do with the radiation effect on the bowel and tummy. Such a tough time for you. I would think that at the time you are just so grateful to be able to have treatment to beat the cancer that the thought of side effects from the treatment is not something that you really consider until it hits you.

As for the boobs - I can remember how uncomfy this is and it is down as a common side effect for kliovance. I think it will be well worth trying a different HRT and someone else will be along soon I'm sure with their own thoughts and suggestions. As for stopping abruptly - I've tried both ways... the long slow withdrawal.. and the "throwing them in the bin" way and both times my symptoms came back at about the same rate. August is not many weeks away now so if you are really feeling so uncomfortable it may help you to work out whether the kliovance is making things worse. When you see the GP you can discuss what you've found out and ask for a different type. There is loads of info on here about different HRT's - maybe the drop down menu at the top of the screen is the place to start but you can also search our posts by using the search box in the blue bar top left of the screen.

Don't worry about thinking HRT is some kind of miracle cure - we all think that - but with a bit of tweaking it is usually possible to find one that makes you feel much better than you are now. Enjoy your holiday!

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »

Hi Andrea -   :welcomemm:

I haven't experienced cervical cancer so can't comment on that.
However, vaginal dryness does seem to be an issue for many of us.
But whatever happens, we'll survive  :)

Welcome to the forum!

Andreac

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »

Thank you Limpy.
Thanks again Taz... Will do some research I think and then go see my gp after my hols  and try and squeeze into mtpy holiday clothes in the meantime lol. Happy to be alive and well otherwise but as you say you don't worry about what comes after when you go through cancer treatment. I'll get there.... Luckily I have a supportive hubby xx

Jenna

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »

Hi Andrea - which vaginal moisturiser do you use? I use 'Yes' water-based, which is also available on prescription. Maybe have a look at their website to see what the professionals and users have to say about how it might help - it could be an improvement on what you have now. I was so relieved to find something that really suited me - just a thought anyway! Have a lovely holiday. :)

Andreac

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »

Hi Jenna...I use replens as a moisturiser although not as often as i should and I use yes or ky as a lubricant hen we attempt intercourse. Radiation has also shortened my vagina which doesn't help...nightmare. Anyway the hrt hasn't helped that much so I'm thinking whats the point. Aches and pains also seem to be resurfacing. Might be better with a topical hrt like a pessary? Thsnk so much for replying Xx

Jenna

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »

Hi again Andrea - a lot of the ladies here use Vagifem . I use Estriol (previously called Gynest) cream twice a week (after the initial two week loading) and 'Yes' water-based moisturiser on the other days just to keep me comfortable. Hope you find something that works for you. :) I think it's all a bit trial and error unfortunately!

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

Just want to emphasise that at your age if you can find an HRT that suits you then it is advisable in order to protect your future bone and heart health. It's not so much about controlling symptoms but more about replacing what your ovaries should have naturally been producing for the next seven or eight years.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »

Welcome!  "Ovacome" is another web-site to browse through and ask questions at.  I use Ovestin 1mg for vaginal atrophy, stops the feeling of razor blades up there  ::)

If intercourse hurts and if you are in a loving relationship then now is the time to talk about other 'ways' of love making.  You have both been through the Mill so enjoy your holiday!

It is Trial and Error until a form of HRT that suits happens along so don't give up.  What does your Consultant advice?  We have a holiday thread  ;)

Andreac

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »

Thanks for all the great responses. I will certainly not give up on the hrt route..amazed there are so many options. Will also look at other products for down below lol. Clkd you are right about the razor blades!! So much help and support from all you lovely ladies. ..appreciate you all taking time to read and respond xx