Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bloating and gas in the third cycle of HRT?  (Read 6343 times)

Greenfields

Bloating and gas in the third cycle of HRT?
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »

For the last week in particular I've had really uncomfortable gas in my stomach.  Notice it most when I'm meditating but also when I'm eating.  Initially I put it down to a raw salad I'd eaten.  Then I thought it might be stress.  But it's been so persistent that now I'm wondering whether it's a side effect of the Utrogestan I take returning?  The thing is, I'm in my third cycle of HRT now - so I didn't expect to experience this again!

Has anyone else had a repeat return of bloating/gas on Utrogestan (ie after taking it for 3 cycles?).  What are the best ways to deal with it?  I've been drinking peppermint tea a lot but it doesn't make it go away.  The symptoms really impact my mood as it's difficult to feel positive when your stomach feels churned up and I'm constantly passing wind or have a sense of trapped wind in my stomach - which is uncomfortable.

Any suggestions appreciated. Lately I've even had to get up in the night and pass wind in the toilet because it's been so uncomfortable (apologies for tmi). 

I've wondered about switching from taking Utrogestan for days 1 - 25 to instead just the few days people usually take it because of the sleep issues I've had and now I'm wondering whether it would sort out the gas problem I have too ... but I don't know how this would impact my mood or my anxiety levels?  So I'm nervous about suggesting this change to my Dr.

honeybun

Re: Bloating and gas in the third cycle of HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »

Everyone is different and lots of us have digestive issues at this time. It could well be your HRT but just as easily your diet, or stress affecting your digestion.

Your GP can prescribe anti spasmodic meds if things get painful.

I find Gaviscon Advance very helpful for digestion, or there are over the counter meds such as Deflatine.

Honeybun
X

Greenfields

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »

Everyone is different and lots of us have digestive issues at this time. It could well be your HRT but just as easily your diet, or stress affecting your digestion.

Your GP can prescribe anti spasmodic meds if things get painful.

I find Gaviscon Advance very helpful for digestion, or there are over the counter meds such as Deflatine.

Honeybun
X

Thanks Honeybun.  I was wondering whether I might need to take something else as well ... I just feel like the list of meds that I'm having to take is going to grow and grow ... and it's so not what I'm used to - I rarely took meds before all this happened.  I will definitely ask the Dr as it's been quite challenging to deal with this week.

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »

"raw salad I'd eaten"

I'd bet good money this is purely your diet.

For me HRT has improved my gut and brought me back to being regular and comfortable again.

Just some useful articles :)

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/think-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/article-515885/Too-salad-make-windy.html

In terms of eating raw food also, it can take longer for us to process these, leading to wind/bloating too.
Some foods actually ferment longer in the stomach making the gaseous production worse.
Yes our lower stomach ferments the food ?!

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Fermentation_in_the_gut_and_CFS

We will let you digest that for now :) :P

:-*

GeordieGirl

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »

Fruit and veg should never be eaten raw? Hmm

I'm following a strict nutritional protocol for cancer - it consists of a huge proportion of raw fruit and veg. This has seen my tumour shrink well beyond my consultant's expectations (80% gone despite only 2 minutes of brachytherapy), but more to the point my energy levels have gone through the roof. The daily fatigue I've had for decades has disappeared. I used to struggle around 4-6pm and occasionally need a nap, that's all history now.  My daughter's eczema has gone, and I've got the sofest elbows around (I'm sure that must be useful for something !!!).

If you do cook your veg, make sure you use the water it's boiled in otherwise you're throwing away a huge percentage of the nutrients. A good soup can be beneficial, but it's also good for home made stock.

I get gassy if I eat pulses (watch out, lentils coming!!) but I'd certainly take the advice of not eating raw salads or fruit with a pinch of (Himalayan rock) salt.  Even more so when it comes from the Daily Mail  ;)

GG x
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:25:24 AM by GeordieGirl »

GeordieGirl

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »

Thanks Honeybun.  I was wondering whether I might need to take something else as well ... I just feel like the list of meds that I'm having to take is going to grow and grow ... and it's so not what I'm used to - I rarely took meds before all this happened.  I will definitely ask the Dr as it's been quite challenging to deal with this week.

That could be the issue?  I always favour treating the cause rather than the symptoms...

I take Utrogestan and have been fine though I suspect we're all effected differently.  Have you tried keeping a food diary over a few weeks? If you list everything you eat, take, do and feel it can be useful to track the culprit. I'd also track exercise, if you're mainly sedentary it's difficult for your digestive system to operate properly so you're more likely to suffer from trapped gas and constipation.

GG x

Greenfields

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »

I've been tracking things and I think that the gas is linked to the more stressed I am - it's definitely more noticeable then.  So have been taking Boots digestion relief tablets and consciously trying to breathe and slow down more - particularly when eating.  It's not been quite so painful the last few days.  The Dr said I could try another HRT if I wanted to but I was really reluctant to go down that route at the moment with all the other things I am dealing with, trying a new hormone combination is not something I want to experiment with!

Briony

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »

Raw fruit and veg never been an issue for me, but as a life long vegetarian, guess I am used to it. On the other hand, anything with lentils in and you wouldn't want to be too close to me for the next 24 hours  :o

More seriously, round three of HRT is still quite early days in the big scale of things. I am now into month 9 of HRT of one sort or another, and reckon it took at least 6 months for side effects to settle and me to really 'feel the benefit' of taking it.

Do you take the Utrogestan orally or the other route? Could be worth trying vaginally if you don't already, and think it's the cause of your problem. x

Greenfields

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »

Raw fruit and veg never been an issue for me, but as a life long vegetarian, guess I am used to it. On the other hand, anything with lentils in and you wouldn't want to be too close to me for the next 24 hours  :o

More seriously, round three of HRT is still quite early days in the big scale of things. I am now into month 9 of HRT of one sort or another, and reckon it took at least 6 months for side effects to settle and me to really 'feel the benefit' of taking it.

Do you take the Utrogestan orally or the other route? Could be worth trying vaginally if you don't already, and think it's the cause of your problem. x

I take it orally. I could ask the Dr about taking it vaginally when I see her in August.

To be honest I think a big part of my issue is just the huge amount of stress I'm under - the Dr said that yesterday too.

Hopefully as I get stronger, the stress will be easier to bear - I really hope so.

It's helpful to know that 3 months is still fairly early with respect to HRT - I've really struggled to separate out what effects I am experiencing from the HRT and what I'm struggling with related to the recovery from my nervous breakdown and all the other stress I'm under.

Briony

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »

I stand to be corrected on this, but I 'think' it can only be prescribed vaginally for HRT off licence, so an NHS GP is unlikely to agree.  Since it's the same tablet regardless of the route taken, I just did it anyway. I felt enough people on here do this - and have been advised to do so by their private gynaecologists - that it was a risk I was willing to take. In fact, judging by the posts on here, I would guess the majority of people take it this way - since it reduces the side effects.
(That said, if you take it continuously, it might make things a bit 'messy' on occasions!) x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »

I can no longer eat cauliflower, raw or cooked ……… haven't been able to for 5/6 years and I love it as a veg.. Maybe change when you eat your meals i.e. main one at noon rather than in the evening?