Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Beta blockers for anxiety query  (Read 15436 times)

babyjane

Re: Beta blockers for anxiety query
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »

Limpy is right.  It calms a racing heart within about 20 minutes usually but for overall anxiety I was advised that it has a cumulative effect and needs to be taken regularly at first.  Also you should not stop it without weaning off slowly or it can upset the heart rhythm.  Be advised by your docter.  Propranolol has been around for a long time and they know about its usefulness.

Greenfields

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »

Limpy is right.  It calms a racing heart within about 20 minutes usually but for overall anxiety I was advised that it has a cumulative effect and needs to be taken regularly at first.  Also you should not stop it without weaning off slowly or it can upset the heart rhythm.  Be advised by your docter.  Propranolol has been around for a long time and they know about its usefulness.

Oh I'll have to ask my Dr about this as she prescribed it to use as and when I need it - not for continued daily use (as I understood it).  I won't take anymore until I see her (July 13th).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »

Give the Surgery a ring.  There are a few ways that BBs are administered so you need to know if yours is slow release or daily.

babyjane

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »

How strange Greenfields as I was taking it as and when and was advised to take it daily.

If you are in any doubt, and it sounds as though you are, best get your doctor's reassurance and be guided by them.

Greenfields

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »

Just to say I took another one on Sunday (after my trip to London on Saturday) as I woke up with acute anxiety (I think I'd pushed my nervous system a bit too much).  The beta blocker calmed everything down which helped.

I spoke to my Dr today and i am going to take 40mg beta blockers daily - 1 on waking and, if I need to, another 6 hours later.  She said that it should help deal with the anxiety in the morning and even out any surges of adrenalin (which I tend to get first thing in the morning).

So feeling more optimistic about things now.  She also said that 40mg is a really small dose.  Apparently it comes in as high a dose as 110mg!  But she said that she's found that less than 40mg doesn't work for a lot of people - even though it comes in 10mg as well.  She said if I find that two 40mg doses a day are too much, she can prescribe the 10mg as well and then I would take 1 40mg and 1 10mg a day.  But for the moment I'm going to see how 1 40mg dose a day works.

This morning I didn't have much anxiety which helped as well - I think it only happens when I push myself a bit too much more than my nervous system is fully ready for.  But I also did extra yoga and meditation yesterday which really helped. 

babyjane

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »

That sounds positive Greenfields.  I also find my symptoms are worse when I push myself beyond my own limits.

I am extremely sensitive to chemicals and drugs and 5 - 10mg 2 or 3 times a day is more than enough for me.  Propranolol is good because it is available is many different strengths so it is easy to find a dose that suits.  Sometimes on a good day I forget to take it but it is good to have it there when needed  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]