Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need your advice ladies  (Read 6364 times)

Joyce

Re: Need your advice ladies
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »

I'd have thought that I'm on such a low dose anyway, they would have been OK with it. Appears not. There are as many guidelines which say you can continue as those who say stop. I've read various ones.

Nemesis

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »

It all seems really odd as years ago when HRT Was first invented so to speak women were on it for 20 years or so. Even those who went on it at Meno rather than those like yourself you went on due to having a hyster, so presumably it wasn't unusual to be in it from 50 to 70.

It's almost like there are fashions and trends in these medicines where the medical profession is concerned, I guess thinking changes over the years.

I'd love to ve to see some stats on what difference it has made to life expectancy or certain illnesses, these shifts in thinking, but there won't be any as I guess in the sixties and seventies Etc they weren't studying the effects of HRT, they thought but was the new miracle drug.

Also for yourself you don't have the added complication of needing progesterone like so many long termers need which I though was the breast cancer risk, or have I got that the wrong way round? 

Plius you gave a very low dose of oestrogen.

Anyway glad they have sorted you in the short term.

So many factors come into things as well, people's own underlying physiology, other meds they take, lifestyle etc I guess that's why it is so complex
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:29:08 PM by Nemesis »

Joyce

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »

I questioned the idea of increasing Citalopram, as in, which is the safest to continue with? They prefer the Citalopram. Bet it's the cheapest option!  Will see how things go & think I may see different GP next time. 

Greenfields

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »

I questioned the idea of increasing Citalopram, as in, which is the safest to continue with? They prefer the Citalopram. Bet it's the cheapest option!  Will see how things go & think I may see different GP next time.

Another option might be to email Dr Currie to get some advice - I think the fee is 25 pounds but it would be worth it if you got some useful advice that you could then print out and take to your next Dr's appointment.  Just a thought?

GeordieGirl

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »

Hi cubagirl

Well I think you know what my advice will be! In your position I would never have tapered off the HRT and then have to take an AD to combat the return of symptoms. If you think there are risks with HRT, then there are also risks with ADs and at least the HRT you are using is bio-identical and you don't have to take a progestogen! No contest in my book.

Dr Currie (on this site) says that the risks are equal to the benefits between the ages of 60 and 70 (which is why at 62 I am still taking it, as are several of us on here). There is nothing that says you should stop at 60 apart from out-dated doctor's opinions, and as dazned says, the new NICE guidelines will be telling doctors not to prescribe ADs in preference to HRT for the relief of menopausal symptoms. You are on a tiny amount. I would increase it to an amount that you are comfortable with - and personally I would want to taper off the ADs and stick to the HRT - 25 mcg twice a week is still a low amount. I am tkaing 50 mcg twice a week as are several other over 60's. The ADs will not give you back oestrogen and you could still experience health problems - as Debe said - such as osteoporosis.

If you do not have any of the risk factors, and you keep your weight within a healthy BMI ( lose weight if you need to), take regular exercise, eat a healthy diet, don't smoke and limit alcohol, then go with your gut feeling and don't let your doc persuade you otherwise. I am sure if you consulted Dr Currie she would also say the same  :)

Hurdity x

I was going to post but pretty much feel the same as Hurdity on this. I'm using Estrogel and Utrogestan and will take them as long as I need, I'm really not hung up on a year of expiry of me being able to use HRT, and certainly wouldn't swap one drug for another with an even more suspect record.

Statistics take into account all manner of factors, including for example the lung cancer smokers who continue smoking, the alcoholics that continue drinking. If you however make sure you're doing as much as possible 'right' , then you're keeping your body in its optimum condition and reduce risks. Taking bio identical hormones is likely to be kinder too (according to the research studies).

GG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

Why change your GP  :-\ ……….. as Citalopram is an AD it's not really comparable, regardless of the cost to the Practice  ::)

Mary G

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

This is just my personal opinion but I would say definitely take HRT for as long as you need it.  The time limit was just plucked out of the air with no firm basis and was on the back of a very flawed scientific study.  That study has probably caused more damage than anyone will every know and thousands of women have been denied life changing HRT treatment because of it - I have heard it referred to as "the lost generation".  I wonder how many women have lost years of their lives and will end up with hip fractures and curvature of the spine because of it? 

The million women study (or whatever it was called) has now been well and truly discredited and it would appear that opinion is now swaying in favour of HRT.  If someone is happy taking it at 60 or 70, why should they stop?

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »

Agreed Mary G! quality, quality, quality ………

Joyce

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »

I'm continuing to do all my research before next visit, but will see GP who put me back on HRT a while back. He's the only one who seems to keep abreast of current findings, or he was last time I saw him. He's just very hard to get an appointment with.

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »

Let us know how you get on!
Pages: 1 2 [3]