Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need your advice ladies  (Read 6365 times)

MrsMopp

Re: Need your advice ladies
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 06:46:54 PM »

20mg of Citalopram = no sweats for me.  10mg and they are reduced.

The only thing I would say is that I've been on them for years and can't get off them now.

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »

Hi cubagirl

Well I think you know what my advice will be! In your position I would never have tapered off the HRT and then have to take an AD to combat the return of symptoms. If you think there are risks with HRT, then there are also risks with ADs and at least the HRT you are using is bio-identical and you don't have to take a progestogen! No contest in my book.

Dr Currie (on this site) says that the risks are equal to the benefits between the ages of 60 and 70 (which is why at 62 I am still taking it, as are several of us on here). There is nothing that says you should stop at 60 apart from out-dated doctor's opinions, and as dazned says, the new NICE guidelines will be telling doctors not to prescribe ADs in preference to HRT for the relief of menopausal symptoms. You are on a tiny amount. I would increase it to an amount that you are comfortable with - and personally I would want to taper off the ADs and stick to the HRT - 25 mcg twice a week is still a low amount. I am tkaing 50 mcg twice a week as are several other over 60's. The ADs will not give you back oestrogen and you could still experience health problems - as Debe said - such as osteoporosis.

If you do not have any of the risk factors, and you keep your weight within a healthy BMI ( lose weight if you need to), take regular exercise, eat a healthy diet, don't smoke and limit alcohol, then go with your gut feeling and don't let your doc persuade you otherwise. I am sure if you consulted Dr Currie she would also say the same  :)

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »

I'm sure CG will be along to answer for herself but as I remember she started ADs for anxiety and not for meno symptoms. Some need both as HRT does not always help with anxiety.

It has never done anything for my anxiety at all and if ADs had suited me and helped I would have taken both.

I agree that ADs should not be prescribed for meno symptoms but expecting HRT to cure anxiety is not realistic either.
I really wish it did though  :-\

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »

Mrs Mopp - weaning off anti-depressant medication isn't a big problem, done under supervision with a tapering dose: GPs have access to half dose-sized tablets - it took me 9 weeks and once I realised that the side effects lifted after 48 hours, I was OK.  Now on another AD which kind of suits.

MrsMopp

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »

Believe me CLKD I have tried many times over the years.  I just end up anxious and depressed.  I guess that's why I'm on them  :o

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »

I'm on the Citalopram for anxiety. Doctor suggested I reduce the HRT to see how it went. She suggested that Citalopram could eventually be used instead of the HRT.  I was doing fine for a few weeks, but now flushes are returning unfortunately. I've been reducing HRT for quite some time. It's certainly not as bad as when I went cold turkey when I first joined this forum, but I am finding them increasingly uncomfortable.

I do have some risk factors, but I have always said life quality was more important. Think I've made my mind up now, but will see what's what on Wednesday.

dazned

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 09:44:17 PM »

I never found hrt helped me with anxiety,that's why I have low dose AD alongside my hrt. You do what feels right for you,one,other or both. Let us know how it goes,good luck.

Sarai

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »

CLKD I tried to get off AD's after 14 years, given them for post natal depression initially and then forgotten. I weaned off over 9 months, but dropped the last 25mg overnight on the say so of a pharmacist. Bad idea, anxiety and shaking came straight back. Then given a hign dose of beta blockers nearly killed me, more anxiety and panic. I lasted 6 months without and would have gladly died so had to go back on. My dream would be to try again to get off or at least reduce after all this meno lark, but the docs and my family are against it.

dazned

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »

Sarah may I ask why you would like to come off them? I to felt so bad earlier this year I too didn't want to be around :-\
Now I've started on low dose alongside my hrt and this has allowed me to function again if that's what makes one feel human again I will happily take them indefinitely . ;)

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 03:08:08 PM »

Just back from GP. To take HRT half patch twice per week, plus continue with Citalopram, until after my holiday. After that drop HRT & continue on increased dose of Citalopram. She said I can continue on HRT beyond 60, but I'm just delaying the inevitable. I could continue to 65 or 70 if I want but will still end up with flushes/sweats then. She thinks that because I'm already on BP tablets, the sooner I come off HRT the better. Guess I may have to just put up with the discomfort of coming off HRT.

Greenfields

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »

Just back from GP. To take HRT half patch twice per week, plus continue with Citalopram, until after my holiday. After that drop HRT & continue on increased dose of Citalopram. She said I can continue on HRT beyond 60, but I'm just delaying the inevitable. I could continue to 65 or 70 if I want but will still end up with flushes/sweats then. She thinks that because I'm already on BP tablets, the sooner I come off HRT the better. Guess I may have to just put up with the discomfort of coming off HRT.

Did you mention the NICE guidelines to her?  Because it does sound like she's not read them?

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »

Hope this works for you CG and good idea to wait until after your holiday.

I don't think doctors will ever change their opinions over very long term use of HRT, ie...60 and well beyond.
Even Hurdity who is on a sequential regime said in a recent post...I think...that she would do this up until 70.
I cannot imagine bleeding for so long, but that's a personal thing.
I think it's so much easier if you do not have to use progesterone but for most of us this is the case.

I know my GP will want me to at least take a break to see how things go which I am prepared to do that's why I have cut down as far as I can...to accustom my body to smaller and smaller amounts of hormones.

It's such a difficult one as there are so many advantages of just ticking over with the minimum amount to keep symptoms at bay.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »

Why would symptoms continue into late 60s/70s? how is it 'delaying the inevitable': or am I fortunate thus far  :-\ - doesn't the body know when to stop!  I suppose that by having a break one finds out what one's hormones might be up to!

My periods stopped eventually.  Occaionsal meno symptoms, nuisance value only …….. currently OK …..

Maybe a separate thread for NICE Guidelines?

Sarai: I have to take ADs for Life otherwise  :-X

Enjoy your holiday CG  :)

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »

I said about life quality, which she agreed with. No matter how often I speak about HRT, same answer. 60! Even meno consultant said 60.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »

Maybe next time you speak with GP/Consultant they will be more up to date?

I agree - quality of Life is important ……..
Pages: 1 [2] 3