Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Need your advice ladies  (Read 6366 times)

Joyce

Need your advice ladies
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »

Due to see GP on Wednesday regarding whether I will be allowed to continue with Citalopram for anxiety. For the past 2 months I have tried to reduce my Estradot to half a 25mg patch per week, as per GPs instructions. However,  hot flushes coming back. Not lots, but about half a dozen per day. She suggested last time they could increase the Citalopram to help. What I want to know is should I fight to keep my HRT, but half a patch 2 x per week or go with the increased Citalopram? I've got enough patches to fall back on for now, but really don't know what to do.  Hate the feeling when it comes over me. Gets sweats with some of them too.

Debe

Re: Need your advice ladies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »

How long have you been on HRT? And why are you trying to come off it? If you don't mind my asking?

dazned

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »

What do you feel happier with ? Lots of ladies have both and do well so which ever you feel best suits you stick to it and tell the Dr what you want ! After the NICE report comes out,if it's anything like the draught,I think Dr s will get a shock ! Well mine will when I print it out and show them ! If you do well with a certain regime don't let them sway you to change. Good luck for Wednesday's appointment.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »

Been on it  for best part of 20 years or so.  Hysterectomy in mid 30s. Conscious of fact that many doctors say 60 is the limit. I want life quality first & foremost. I've read about continuing on HRT beyond 60, although some GPs still haven't read the research! I'm 60 next year. If I thought the Citalopram would be all I need, I'd happily come off HRT. Not on loads of meds in total. 10mg ramipril for BP, inhalers for asthma, HRT & 10mg Citalopram. Would rather not need anything, but needs must.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »

Stick with what works for as long as it works?  Sometimes my GP thinly hints that it's time to try without my ADs  :o …… I think he's box ticking  ;)

Dazned: another thread about the NICE Report perhaps?  It's news to me  :-\

Debe

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:25:53 PM »

If you want to stay on it, stay on it then, like you say, quality of life. I had an early menopause, wasn't diagnosed. Had really bad everything, especially vaginal dryness, so painful. I've just had enough. If you've found a regime that works for you, keep going with it. My mum took HRT until she was 70 and stopped because we thought it was dangerous. Now the research has reversed all that. Since stopping the HRT, mum has lost 3 inches has back, knee and hip problems and has really aged. I wish I had never nagged her to stop taking it! :'(

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

You could come off the patches and try the ADs with the proviso from your GP that if it doesn't work they will let you go back on the patches.

Bit of a compromise but as you are taking such a minute amount of HRT then perhaps worth a go.

Difficult one CG, what does you gut say.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »

My gut actually days stick with the HRT. I wanted to see my registered GP who is the most sympathetic of them all. He is always difficult to get hold of. On sick leave & then on holiday until mid August. So will see what this GP says on Wednesday.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »

By which time you have made your decision to ……….. if you are getting benefit from the regime, then stick with it?

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »

But I'm not CLKD. Only on half a 25mg patch once a week instead of twice. I got the feeling GP would prefer me to be on Citalopram instead. I'm happy to do that, but wondered if Citalopram aline would be effective for flushes if I come off HRT. Then there's going through the side effects again if I up the Citalopram. Oh heck wish this was all done & dusted by now.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »

If I up my AD which is in the same family the only difference I am aware of is a lift in depression.  The original start up side effects are long gone, fortunately or I couldn't have tolerated this drug. 

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »

OK thanks for that CLKD. Will have a think & see what she says on Wednesday.

thorntrees

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »

Can't give any advice as I've never had HRT just 10mg of citalopram for just over 12 months now. Not completely stopped the flushes but they are less frequent and severe. I am always wondering what would happen if  I tapered off the AD. Are the flushes gradually stopping as time post menopause increases or is the citalopram controlling them?. Just can't bring myself to see what would happen and the thought of stopping and maybe having to restart the AD is not good. Hope the appt goes well and will be interested to see how you get on.

Thorntrees

Mrs January

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

Hi There

I take 40mgs of Citralopam and also 10mgs of Oestrogen daily. I also have a mirena coil

All okey dokey and fine on that mix. I have few hot flushes now and appear to be ok.

Hugs Mrs J xxxx

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »

I am always wondering what would happen if  I tapered off the AD. Are the flushes gradually stopping as time post menopause increases or is the citalopram controlling them?. Just can't bring myself to see what would happen and the thought of stopping and maybe having to restart the AD is not good.

That's what I'm scared of.
Pages: [1] 2 3