Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No babies now  (Read 4391 times)

BrightLight

Re: No babies now
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »

Hi - I also think your feelings are all very natural and also difficult to manage, so much goes on with this change!  I am 45 and for some reason hadn't quite appreciated that I would become so aware of my failing fertility as perimenopause developed.  I felt naieve when I did begin to feel the full force of my reality, I haven't had children.  I think I was coming to the end of the confusing muddle that I have been in about it for a good few years and now just have to work through things as they happen and accept this change.

I tried at first to make a decision, a one time only decision, in the hopes of avoiding the reminders or things that might hurt. So I thought about adoption, fostering, all the ins and outs as to why it never happened, what could I do? What could I do to regain 'control', suddenly it felt like choices had been made 'without me'.  In the end, all this did was make me feel confused and more out of control.

I think the suggestion to explore the possibility of having children is really important, to have a look at the avenues open to you, to try hard not to seek an answer as it were, but seek to feel your way through your options and try not to write the future or re-write the past.  Just find out what you want right now, what action you can take etc Getting some sense of choice and control is so useful I think.

Much love to you as you navigate x
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:33:31 PM by BrightLight »

Briony

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »

If you're considering fostering or adoption (or even the 'foster to adopt' scheme), I'd recommend going to the open evenings held by various local authorities and voluntary agencies. It makes it all a bit more 'real' - especially as you can chat to people who've been through the process - and ask any specific questions you may have about your situation. There really is no pressure at these events; it's all very relaxed and they're much more helpful than the literature by itself. We were amazed how three authorities, within 25 minute drives of each other, could be so different in terms of their approach and attitude. We just 'clicked' with one, the agency furthest away from our house (!) and arranged for a home visit which again, helped to clarify things in our mind. Even when they do the first home visit, it's simply a chat - no paper work to speak of and all very open and relaxed.

mandy43

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »

The feeling that you will never have another child is totally normal.  I too feel like that.  What I will say is if you are still having periods it is still possible to have another child.  My mum had me in the peri-menopause.  Perhaps have a chat with your GP about how you are feeling? xx
Pages: 1 [2]