Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Fem seven conti and bleeding  (Read 3450 times)

Starfire1509

Fem seven conti and bleeding
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »

I'm 63 and been on hrt (fem seven conti) for 10 years with a 2 to 3 year break around 3 years ago. Lately I haven't been changing my patch regularly as I am trying to come off itand my hot flushes have been horrendous but 3 weeks ago I started using them again properly changing them weekly. Last week I noticed a dark discharge which went away and I changed my patch yesterday and last night had period pain type symptoms and this morning I've had a bleed similar flow to either the start or the end of a period. Is this bleed what is commonly know as breakthrough bleeding or something else

Nemesis

Re: Fem seven conti and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »

I personally think this is because you are not using them consistently anymore. However any bleeding you should talk to your GP.

I have used these for 5 years and in my humble opinion it is better to taper off by drop down to half a patch for 6 months, then a quarter of a patch for 6 months, I think that is how I am going to try.

Missing the odd week here and there or leaving them on for 8 or 9 days, missing a day before you put one on etc I think may cause odd bleeds and discharges

But I am not a medic so still go to your GP you can't be too careful

Starfire1509

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:16:45 PM »

Thank you for your reply I have booked an appointment with my go x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

Hi Starfire1509

:welcomemm:

I agree with Nemesis - although the stopping and starting will have messed up your system a little, you should go to see your doc. The drop in progestogen (from the removal of the patch and the fluctuation in dosage) can trigger a bleed if you have any lining to shed, but since Femseven conti is designed to keep the lining thin, and you were on this for some time, then there shouldn't be any bleeding beyond the initial few months. There are various different types of unscheduled bleeding - progesterone withdrawal bleeding as mentioned above (what most women get on sequi HRT), and oestrogen breakthrough bleeding ( irregular bleeding which happens when the lining gets too thick and comes away spontaneously). There are other sorts too.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but glad you've made that appointment.

I agree that withdrawal from HRT should be done consistently and gradually. I do sympathise because I am 62  and still on HRT (long cycle sequi HRT) and don't intend to come off yet - maybe at some future date - but not looking forward to return of flushes!

Hurdity x