Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sooo confused  (Read 1925 times)

Poppyflower

Sooo confused
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »

I think I need a little help in understanding things a bit, just when I thought I was getting a grasp on things, I received my blood work results back and my estrogen level is 351. My level was taken a little past halfway through what I think was my cycle. I am still having some yucky symptoms but not all of the time and not quite as intense. Is this level high enough that I should not have these symptoms still?I was previously on birth control for my symptoms because I liked the idea that I was shutting down my own ovaries to prevent fluctuations. I then had a horrible bought of depression about 3 months in, had my blood work checked and was found to have no estrogen. I suppose I was not absorbing the pill? Anyhow at that time also had my AMH checked which was also at the very low level and my physician decided I am pretty well near menopause, and we decided I should switch to HRT as possibly besides not absorbing pill I was not tolerant of the progesterone. Now I am taking 50 mcg patch estradot and 200 of prometrium on the first day of each month for 12 days. The other strange thing is that I seem to be having quite a significant bleed without even using any of the prometrium so really I do not know what is happening with me. Over all I feel just ok, like at the beginning of your cycle when you are almost finished period I fell good then when progesterone would start to rise it feels like even though my body is making some estrogen it is not enough for the rise of progesterone. Does this make sense? I am 42 and started this madness 18 months ago, symptoms are better. But still there quite a bit. Also feel that if I am side tracked from the whole thing and not thinking about it all so much then do not even notice at times, but when have nothing to do or am alone and I start over thinking? Sound familiar to anyone?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:48:38 PM by Poppyflower »

Dancinggirl

Re: Sooo confused
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »

Hi Poppyflower
I had a an early peri meno that started in my mid 30s. Tough I was put on HRt my own hormones fluctuated in the background for a few years which resulted in changes in symptoms.  I'm afraid this is typical of the peri meno stage but you are on a good HRt regime and eventually this regime should control your cycles.  I am now 59 so very post meno and on the equivalent of Protrium - here in the UK it's called Utrogestan and I get quite a heavy withdrawal bleed.  The erratic bleeds you are getting when not on Utrogestan should perhaps be investigated - possibly your own hormones overriding the HRT or maybe a fibroid giving trouble???!!
I wouldn't expect to feel good all the time - HRT can only do so much.
At 42 it is importnat to have some HRT to protect your heart and bones as you are too young to be oestrogen deficient.  As for tests of oestrogen levels - when was this done?  Were you already on the HRT at the time of this test? 351 is quite a low level but could be enough to keep most meno symptoms at bay.
Many of us get anxiety with the meno - feeling over sensitive and over thinking everything - perhaps try some Mindful Meditation to help control this.  Dg x