Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AD's for hot flushes  (Read 7064 times)

lily

AD's for hot flushes
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »

Has anyone been prescribed anti-depressants for hot flushes and night sweats and if so did they work and how long did it take?

Rebelyell

Re: AD's for hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »

I took citalopram and they worked - I only did 4 months as I hated the side effects, but know several ladies on here get on fine with them.   Just make sure you are clued about side effects [mine did all sorts of stuff to my digestive system] and be prepared to ease into them gently to avoid anxiety.

thorntrees

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »

Agree with Rebelyell, they do work after a few weeks(about a month in my case). I found they don't eliminate flushes and sweats altogether but do reduce them in frequency and severityand also help keep anxiety at bay. They had side effects at first which included digestive problems  but everyone differs in their reactions. I have persevered for just over a year and as I am well post meno hoping to taper off them soon and hope the worst is over!! As I can't take HRT citalopram is a real help as life was becoming a bit of a struggle. Hope they work for you if you decide to give them a try.

Thorntrees

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »

I was nauseous for couple of weeks, but after that tummy was fine. I'm only on 10mg daily.

lily

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »

Thanks ladies. I was put on fluoxetine 3 weeks ago but not helping yet. Been feeling a bit jittery and nauseous.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »

It can take 3/4 weeks before the meds 'kick in' and 3/4 months before one realises that one is getting some benefit  ::)

Keeping a mood/food diary might help too. 

peegeetip

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3139691/Taking-Prozac-menopause-raises-risk-broken-bones.html

Perhaps thats why we've seen posts from ladies earlier with HRT but still getting bone issues because they are taking AD's also.

Strange situation that the they have led some into ???

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »

Haven't read the article but can't get the connection, sorry ……. nowt in my AD leaflet to warn about osteoporosis.  The only connection might be is that people who are SEVERELY depressed, i.e. unable to get out of bed or leave the house, won't exercise = thinning of bones.  But one would have to be VERY ill ……… (prozac gave me rages  :D )

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »

Might be worth reading it then :) I think thats half the problem with a lot of well meant posts, half read and misunderstood.

The connection is for those of us considering the much pushed ssri route a lot of doc's seem to prefer for peri/meno symptoms.
Those already on the ssri AD's need to continue and consider this impact first, as to stop any AD suddenly would lead to well known problems also.

They have recognized that ssri's like Prozac have had a damaging process to our bones for a long time.

Here is an article from 2007.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20070625/antidepressants-may-speed-bone-loss

So those ladies that being pushed to take AD's for peri/meno symptoms might like to consider these facts.

:-\
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:04:18 AM by peegeetip »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:40:26 PM »

Read it.  Very wishy-washy  ::) ……. with absolutely no reason stated as to why any AD is likely to cause bone thinning.  No mention of checking the diets of those women 'studied' nor does it tell the reader how many of this women 'studied' were already taking or had taken HRT. 

It is recognised in the UK that GPs will prescribe ADs.  Of course they will if a lady goes to the Surgery and bursts into tears  ::) and we do know that some GPs prefer to prescribe ADs as they have little or no knowledge of menopausal symptoms, plus cost comes into it.

Recently I read a suggestion in either the Telegraph or Guardian that people should stop taking ADs and managing their depression in other ways  >:( - I bristled …….

peegeetip

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

Only pointing out the connection and it being counter to ladies who might want to take HRT for bone protection only to find their AD is blocking bone formation.

http://news.healingwell.com/?p=news1&id=522315

This article from 2012 provide the key info on the process.

Basically the AD's blocks a part of the bone growth/regrowth process
a quote from above link

"However, researchers recently discovered that 5-HTT -- a serotonin transporter molecule that is key to this process -- is also found in cells responsible for building and maintaining bone."

So link is clearly there.

I agree with CLKD that these drugs are needed. I'll have a look for the article in either paper but I must admit to "bristling" too when people are that dismissive of benefits.  >:(

:-*

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »

Interesting articles - the first two referring to an observational study showing the risk is there but not establishing a casual relationship (between the use of ADs and bone loss). However because of the widespread and long term use of ADs especially in women, this apparent increased risk and the mouse study indicate an urgent need for proper trials to investigate this so that if there is a direct causal link, the extent of the risk can be quantified.

It would be appalling if, not only do ADs not replace oestrogen and therefore fail to prevent the natural bone loss that occurs following menopause, but actually speed this up and do even more harm!

The cynic in me says there is likely to be great resistance in developing such trials because the pharmas make such a huge amount of money from the AD industry, so who would fund a trial suggesting they are damaging to our health, or that the risks may outweigh the benefits?

lily - are you unable to take HRT - I have a feeling you have and we have discussed in the past? Sorry I've forgotten if so.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:38 PM »

As far as I am aware ADs don't have anything to do with bone formation.  My Dentist certainly didn't discuss that aspect of my medication before he suggested implants.  Another query for him at my next visit: note to self, *make* the appt.  :kick:

Kristy

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:11 AM »

A few months ago, my doctor prescribed Cymbalta for the intense anxiety that I was experiencing. They have certainly helped the anxiety but the bonus has been that I have not experienced many hot flushes since starting except for the occasional night sweat.
As for side effects, there have been a few digestive problems including a big increase in appetite and a change in my tastebuds which means that most things taste different and not always for the better! I think I may have to lower the dose, hopefully without the anxiety and hot flushes returning  :-\.

pepperminty

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »

Hi Ladies ,

Just thought I would through my 2 pence in regarding Hot flushes. There has been a marked increase in the temperature at night now. Last year I was sweating and had to go to bed with ice packs. This year I have only just realised that now being on the HRT I have not been so hot at night. Sometimes we don't realise all the positive changes and results as they can sort of creep up on you.
I personally would not take ADs as these days they seem to be prescribed as a panacea for all evils. I would much rather actually deal with the cause of the problem rather than the symptoms if possible as is my personal preference. I have nothing against people taking them at all and if it works for you, and helps with other symptoms such as hot flushes, then that is marvellous. I worry that the dosage may need to be steadily increased to alleviate symptoms and have seen this with friends. I agree with Hurdity that we really need more research.  As for depression there is definitely scientific evidence that they work well in improving the quality of life for those with severe depression. I am now digressing.

Pepperminty xx
Pages: [1] 2