Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rubbish start to day  (Read 7125 times)

Joyce

Rubbish start to day
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »

Phone call from son last night asking if we could take his fiancé to eye clinic first thing as she had problems with blurred vision. She's had this in the past, but it's different this time.

Hubby took her & he's away to pick her up now to take her home. Son just been in touch & said she has holes in both her retinas. The eye clinic says not much they can do until she actually loses her sight. She's naturally terrified & due to start training for her new dream job next week.

Anyone know anything about this condition?

Joyce

Re: Rubbish start to day
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »

Son just texted me again. Apparently she has some weird bug/virus in her eyes which is always there. Can't get rid of it. So it will continue to flare up whenever it feels like it.

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »

That sounds nasty,  how awful.  So sorry can't add anything helpful but I hope she gets some more positive help soon.  My old boss had something similar with her eyes ( I know a hole in retina was mentioned and it was chronic ) - I know she was on steroids and struggled at times.  That said she is still working and seems to manage it well.

Xxx

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »

They've put something in her eyes to help "repair" them meantime.  I'd have thought some sort of prevention now would be better than letting her lose her sight.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:39:40 AM »

Maybe contact the Hospital at Roehampton ?  My late F in L had a critter living in his gut which he picked up whilst in Jap PWar Camp - the critter would migrate occasionally and his waist area would come up in wheals ........ an Ozzy Doctor found that a lot of Prisoners were returning with strange issues so Dad went to Roehampton and had tests, was given a very powerful drug and after 30+ years, the critter was killed off.

Or the Hospital for Infectious Diseases?  I believe that we all have little things in our eye-lashes but maybe more Research into this condition is warrented?  I read that as 'bug', as in a critter, sorry  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »

So did I when son texted me.  I thought simple, wash bug out of eye. If only it were that simple.

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »

That sounds horrid CG, really feel for her, hope all works out well.
Is the eye clinic part of an established eye hospital?
Best wishes to your Son and his Fiancé.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »

No just clinic. Any big stuff they have to send you to Glasgow/Edinburgh. They've told her that it's not bad enough for lazer surgery, so have treated it with all sorts of drops today. I thought she may have to use drops hourly, but this is different from what has happened to her eyes before, so that treatment isn't necessary this time round. They reckon it'll go same way as it came, given time. So she's resting her eyes for next few days.

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »

Is she happy with the treatment she's receiving?
Would it be worth getting a second opinion, just to make sure everything possible is being done.

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »

Probably would be worth getting, but not up to me. Our son & her folks may try & convince her.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »

So sorry to hear of this CG. I've found this http://www.kirkeyecenter.com/patient-education/retinal-holes-and-tears/  which sounds about right.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:36 PM »

Thanks Taz, found that site earlier. I've texted her and she appears to have Posterior Vitreous Detachment. She couldn't remember name, just remembered could lose her sight. My hubby had this about 2 years ago, although in a much milder form. They've told her it's not bad enough to require laser treatment yet, but they are going to monitor her. Certainly not good at such a young age, but remember hubby being told it's quite common. He still gets bothered with it from time to time, but just puts up with it. Operation is quite scary. Involves having to lie on your front for quite some time post op.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »

Rotten thing to happen CG, she must be really concerned. It's good that she is going to be monitored regularly.
Sounds as if it's treatable though which is great.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »

Yeah, son is over thinking it as usual. Wonder where he gets that from? Her work were really good though. Last week of current job, sure someone will think she's pulling a fast one. But hey, we only get one set of eyes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »

Hopefully her eyes will be monitored so that she has good guidance regarding treatment - does she get steroid treatment to reduce any swelling?

Pages: [1] 2