Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: I need to find a dress  (Read 7892 times)

Dulciana

I need to find a dress
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

Ladies, I need to find a dress for a very special event in December and I'm not quite sure where to look.  I have been looking online at Chi Chi London and I quite like their dresses, but I'd also like to know of anywhere else that I may not have thought of.   I need a dress that is: knee-length; waisted; short-sleeved or 3-quarter (sleeveless is out); not high-necked; not black; and not slippery material.  And yes, it's to play the organ in, at a concert.  I don't want to be photographed afterwards from the side, exposing not-so-lovely upper arms, as happened after the last concert.  Does anyone know where else I could look?  My only other option would be the dress from the last concert, worn with a bolero, or something.......... :-\

honeybun

Re: I need to find a dress
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »

House of Frazer or Debenhams maybe.

Honeybun
X

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »

John Lewis perhaps.

Judith57

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »

Have a look at the Ghost website, they have some gorgeous dresses in the sale at the moment.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

That sounds just like the dress from my wedding outfit which is a Jacques Vert from their 'Just Last Season' website (things are reduced because they are last season's things).

Jacques Vert is very generous with the bust measurements though so unless you are full breasted you may need the bodice taking in like I had to. Pear shaped does not work quite so well with their things.

Dulciana

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »

This is really helpful.  Many thanks everybody.  Time to go shopping........ ::)

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »

personal shopper?

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »

Oooh, now there's a thought................thanks babyjane.   ::)

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »

Just a thought - how about getting some sleeves to pop under a favourite dress?

Google - "cami under dress sleeves" the first entry has some very nice sleeves that go under dresses to disguise arms.

"sleeves to wear under dress" also has other options
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:47:10 AM by Limpy »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »

Hi Dulciiana - may I suggest you go for a soft jersey type fabric that will skim the body so it doesn't have to be actually waisted but merely follows your body line. Jersey also has a bit of 'give' which I'm sure would be more comfortable while you are playing the organ.  I've seen these types of dresses in Lands End, or Bodom catalogues - some have the fabric crossed across the body that gives a flattering 'v' neck.  You can try them on at home and send them back if not appropriate. If you need it to look more dressy then adding some jewellery and earrings would achieve this - the dress will also be useful for other occasions as well as it could be dressed 'up or down'. I think you should wait for a while before buying a dress as they are all summer things at the moment but come late August the autumn/winter stuff will be out.  DG x

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »

Just a thought - how about getting some sleeves to pop under a favourite dress?
Google - "cami under dress sleeves" the first entry has some very nice sleeves that go under dresses to disguise arms.
"sleeves to wear under dress" also has other options

Thanks Limpy.  They look really good.  I would need sleeves about half that length, and loose-fitting, but I'll look around.

Thanks Dancinggirl - I had thought of a dress in a soft jersey-type fabric and I'm still considering that idea. 

Oh dear - I've got 24 weeks (as from today!!) to dither and swither over this.   But your ideas are great pointers for me.   :thankyou:

littleminnie

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »

If you wait until August ish, the Autumn dresses will be in the shops. If you you look/buy now it might not be suitable for December.

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »

Good point, littleminnie.   :thankyou:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »

Just found this on the internet in the sale at 'White Stuff' - looks promising???
http://www.whitestuff.com/womens/dresses/grey-flora-dress/     

DG x

Dulciana

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 08:40:18 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl -that's a nice one.
D.