Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uni results  (Read 8895 times)

Scampi

Uni results
« on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »

My daughter has just received her final result for her Archeological Sciences degree - she has achieved a 2:1, but missed a First by 0.4%.  I am so, so proud of her - she has worked very hard for this degree, having changed from a Forensic Science course after 2 years (so she's actually done 5 years at Uni), but the poor kid (HA - she's 23!) is devastated that she missed a first by such a tiny margin.

I've told her how proud I am of her, but I feel so helpless - she is so upset right now.  I know she's a grown-up and has to deal with the poo life can throw, but she's still my baby too, and I can't make this pain go away  :'(

Dulciana

Re: Uni results
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »

:congrats:  to your daughter, Scampi!

It is hard if you don't get the result you'd hoped for.  My nephew has just got a 2.2 for his physics degree and he's gutted.  But it's where they go next, surely, that will make the difference, whether that's further study, vocational training, internships or jobs.    Good luck to her!

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »

I think it's because it's so close that's making her so upset - one more mark on just one piece of work would have given her a First.  She feels she's let herself (and us) down.  Most employers ask for a 'good Honours degree' - a 2:1 IS a good degree!  And she could always put her actual mark (67/6%) on a CV with her grade - I'm pretty sure employers know a First is 68%, so they'd see just how close she was!

She says she'll get over it, but it's just so hard to see her disappointment today.

Dulciana

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »

That's completely understandable.  Still - onwards and upwards.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »

I can understand, but once she gets on with life and hopefully a job that she enjoys, it won't hurt anymore and she'll realise how incredibly well she has done.

My son failed one part of his 1st year paramedic degree by 0.01%. Pass mark was 80%. He had to wait a year before retaking and then carrying on with the course. It was upsetting at the time, but he actually had a good year, once he got his mind sorted over it.

Scampi

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »

Now that IS cruel Ju Ju  :(

Lady P will be fine - when it comes to entry qualifications there are very, very few employers that distinguish between and 2:1 and a first, so it really shouldn't affect her.  And I think once she gets over the 'so near yet so far' disappointment, she'll realise that and accept how well she has done.  If she'd missed a 2:1 by that tiny margin, it would a different matter entirely!

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »

Well firstly....huge congratulations to your daughter, she has done so well.

I do understand her frustration but in the great scheme of things it really doesn't matter. She now has her degree and letters after her name.

She will quickly get over it.

What's her plans for a job now her uni days are over?

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 12:43:16 PM »

Achieving a Uni degree is no mean feat & I admire those who have got their degrees. So well done!!! My daughter just missed out on a first with her nursing degree & she blamed herself for a while for not putting in the extra effort. However, she has got on fine since. She previously achieved a 2:1 honours in law. 

My hubby only got a 2:1 in law, then achieved his Masters & is now a PHD. He teaches law now, so progression is possible.

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »

Lady P is part-way through the selection process for a role she cannot discuss - I hope she gets in as I think she'd be really good at this particular job!

She has a few other job applications in at the moment too (quite a few to work in museums) - if she doesn't find anything to call a career in the next 2 years, she's got some money coming from her biological paternal grandmother's will in a couple of years and she'll use some of it to fund a Masters. 

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »

congratulations and good luck for the future to your daughter  :congrats:

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »

Scampi, both my hubby and my Dad used to be university lecturers.  They've always said that 1st's are notoriously difficult to get, but that 2.1's are extremely good degrees.  Full stop. 

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »

that's what we told our son in law when he got a 2:1 and daughter got a first but it still mattered to him.  Now he is earning three times what she earns  :)

Dyan

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

:congrats: to your daughter Scampi.
I told my children, as long as they do their best that's all they can do.
All 3 have done well and I'm so proud of them all.

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »

Hello Scampi.

Congratulations to your daughter.

My daughter just missed out on a first but refused to have her work re-marked. She has done really well since and enjoys her job. My son scraped a first and is also doing well.  A good degree is all that matters.

After the initial disappointment has worn off I'm sure she'll put things into perspective and be really pleased with her achievement.

I wish her good luck in her career.

Take care.

K.

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 05:57:31 PM »

Scampi - Congratulations to your daughter.
A 2:1 is a really, really, good degree.
Pages: [1] 2