Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 24/7 Tinnitus, Menopause or age ?  (Read 13790 times)

Nemesis

24/7 Tinnitus, Menopause or age ?
« on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »

I have been reading this wonderful forum for many years for support during my meno but now want to ask a question. In the past few months I have developed permanent tinnitus of the White noise variety. Doctors say you just have to get used to it as it is a brain noise and not from the ear.

Has anyone on here got this debilitating condition, and if so how do they cope ?

I haven't had an easy menopause and have been on a patch for 5 years, but this has been the worst yet. I don't expect it will go as it is continuous, and not of the coming and going variety.

Dancinggirl

Re: 24/7 Tinnitus, Menopause or age ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Nemesis
Though there have been some posts on MM regarding tinnitus I don't think it is directly related to the menopause but many of us find we develop all sorts of strange things at this time in our lives.  My son suffers badly with tinnitus.  There must be a site that offers advice and supper for tinnitus? 

I hope the patch is sorting your meno symptoms.

Hopefully someone will be along with some help.  DG x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »

I have it mildly, but it came before the menopause. Not sure of the cause though. I have it 24/7. Never bothered mentioning it to GP though.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »

There is a UK Tinnitus Society.  I suddenly get tuned into my ear/s and wonder how long it/they have been ringing for  ::).  I also get itching deep down ……. we call that 'spaniel ear'  ::) as I need a thinner finger to get in to scratch!  But fingers are designed not to fit our lug-holes  ::)

I also get throbbing when laying on the ear - not painful - but I am aware of it in the background.  My R ear also gets bunged up/sticky and a wriggle with a finger seems to release it, I notice it more in the night when I'm laying on that side.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »

I have very short and narrow ear canals just like my mother and they need syringing once or twice a year. A ringing sound always heralds the need for this but I believe real tinnitus is a terrible affliction that can drive sufferers to the edge.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »

Yes it can.  Many people have been affected by attending 'rock' concerts  ::) or being in a noisy situation.

Nemesis

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »

Thank you for the replies. I've tried reading a few tinnitus forums but they seem scary places with people talking about suicide etc so thought I should stay away.

I'm 59 so I guess it might be age related. Men and Young people get it as well which makes me think it may not be meno related.

Cubagirl does your's affect your sleep ? Do you use noise to mask it I'm really struggling at the moment. I guess it depends on how invasive an individual's noise is. It is a pretty miserable thing to have.

I also get a blocked ear feeling with it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:19:09 PM by Nemesis »

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »

Mine started after recurrent ear infections. It's mostly there all the time. I notice it more if I'm stressed.
Your GP is right though, your brain does become accustomed to it and you will not be as aware of it in time.

As for sleeping, I have a wave app that I use to concentrate on which is helpful.

Also any added pressure in your ear can make it worse. If you feel bunged up then an antihistamine can help as can olbas oil in hot water and inhale. That clears the tubes.

Like you I have stayed well away from forums because they are very bleak places at times.

Honeybun
X

Oh and  :welcomemm:

Nemesis

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »

Thank you for the welcome. I think mine might be the result of recurrent infections as well.

I agree I don't think there is much to be done once you have the 24/7 kind. GP has been supportive and I've had a few tests and all show negative.

I have been trying relaxation music from youtube at night, but as soon as it stops I am awake. Then I get poor sleep and that makes it worse, vicious circle.

Sorry that you have this as well.

I think there is a supplement you can take called ginkgo biloba but I am a bit dubious as if it worked I would imagine it would be a prescribable medicine available on the NHS for those who unfortunately have the chronic version of this condition.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:48:17 PM by Nemesis »

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »

Try more of a sounds app and play it on a loop. The sound of any kind of water is good.

Hopefully you will start to get used to it soon and it won't be quite as annoying. Distraction is wonderful.  I like to read, it just takes my mind off it for a while if it's bad.

I have heard that the ginkgo biloba is helpful, thanks for the reminder. It's always worth a try, nothing to loose really and I have great faith in alternatives.

Honeybun
X

Nemesis

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »

I will try more sound apps.

I like to read too but unfortunately at the moment when I try to read all I hear is the horrible noise.

I also read talking books can be good for going to sleep with. Apparently you do habituate to it, which I have not done yet, let's hope I can and don't become one of the folks that turns potty with it.

I might try some of the alternative remedies as even turning the sound down a bit would be helpful.

It's a matter of taking what life throws at you I suppose.

Thanks again.

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »

Sometimes affects sleep, most of the time it is just background noise. Had a neighbour with it. She had to play music, TV really loudly to deaden the ringing in her ears. She found it a complete nightmare.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »

cubagirl does your neighbour no longer have the tinnitus or do you no longer have the neighbour?

Nemesis

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »

Thanks for the reply cubagirl, I am still at the finding it at the nightmare stage, as it seems pretty loud.Hopefully it will become more of a background noise like yours has but who knows, also I guess none of us knows what the other actually hears. I'm very glad that yours isn't intrusive.

I'm having to listen to things to try and block it at night although I have always been a bad sleeper. It's also giving me bad anxiety so I may have to go back to the GP on that. He kindly gave me a few Valium but I really would like something different and I know he won't prescribe again I think he did so because he could see what a state of shock I was in.

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »

I've developed it and it's making it difficult to hear people talk if they are quietly spoken
I get a few different types (white machine I guess is a good description/high pitch noise and then whooshing like a sonicaid noise when pregnant) and they 'switch' from one to the other, or machine like noise quite loud then I can't hardly hear at all

I've also developed 6th nerve palsy (double vision) and blurred vision, no wonder I always feel lightheaded

Annie xx
Pages: [1] 2 3