Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: GP made a very telling observation!!!  (Read 28708 times)

honeybun

Re: GP made a very telling observation!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »

As years go in we live longer, but how about Queen Victoria, she lived to a grand old age. The very poor did not but others most definitely did.

I really think that if men had the same issues as we did things would be the same. What else can we have except HRT, there is nothing else.

Why not feel lucky that we live longer, would any of us rather be dead than be going through meno because that's the choice.

Sorry but I think the GP was talking complete nonsense. How in any way was that helpful. Support and suggestions yes, that comment....no, not helpful at all.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »

Your GP is quite wrong though GypsyRoseLee... she doesn't understand natural selection nor genetics!

We are absolutely not genetically engineered to die at 40 (life-span)! That is absolute rubbish! What she is meaning which is true that because our life-expectancy has inreased dramatically due to modern medicine we do now on average live to our allotted life-span which (itself may be increasing) - which means yes maybe a third of our life or more in menopause.

Hurdity - It seems a bit patronising to criticise a GP or (anybody else really) for not understanding natural selection or genetics.

The purpose of genes, is to further the survival of the gene, i.e. once those genes have reproduced, their work is complete.

Once a woman has had 2/3/4 or more kids the genes have done their bit, there is no further need for a breeding machine (woman), Perhaps that is where GypseyRoseLee's GP was coming from?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »

I think there are valid points all round.  It's an interesting subject and only in 100 years, looking back, will where we are now be any clearer  ::)

I thought of something to write and it's gone from my brain  >:( …… yep, it's back - the medical profession interrupts natural selection from the day we are born but at end of Life they tend to do what they are trained to do: that is - save people - rather than letting Nature take over: i.e. ABs for people with chest infections who are already failing.  Interesting story about a lady in the Sat. paper this morning and again can't remember the ladies name  >:( so will shut up now and take a look at the article  ::)

My periods started too early for my liking and I hated it.  It wasn't talked about, neither was the menopause …. and I don't think I would be raising the subject with my grannies even at my age  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »

The menopause may be a natural process but I'm sure in the past a women's life expectancy could have been determined by how severe her menopausal symptoms were.  Some women were subjected to some horrific treatments, put into asylums or simply remained semi invalid when they reached their late 40s/early 50s.  If you were rich then you could languish on a sofa and be waited on hand, foot and finger. If you were poor and had to keep working then the lack of sleep and other meno symptoms would very possibly have caused an early death.
In Pride and Prejudice - Mrs. Bennett suffered terribly with palpitations/nerves and had to take to her bed!!!
As we now live longer, appropriate treatment to prevent the damage oestrogen deficiency inflicts on our bodies should be treated - the benefits and savings for society and the NHS could be great.
DG x

Briony

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

if we're short of a hormone we should be given it, just as someone who is short of insulin, thyroxine etc is. And if we need it for ever so be it.

I wonder if it could be becuase if you do not take insulin or thyroxine, if you have diabetes or hypothyroidism, you would eventually die.  As far as I can tell lacking oestrogen will not kill you so some GPs are reluctant to add it to the practice budget.

Lacking estrogen can most certainly cause severe bone and heart issues, especially if you have a deficiency in your younger years. The endocrinologist I saw, aged 42, (me, not him) said I needed 'immediate' estrogen to protect my heart, or else risk serious problems. Taking this to its extreme, I suspect it - serious heart problems - could actually kill you.

peri

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »

Really interesting post ladies.  I personally will carry on taking hrt as long as the nhs will let me and the day they won't I will go private and get it that way. What price quality of life I say, you get one life and I want it to be as good as it can possibly be.

SueRoe

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »

I think a large part of the problem here is that females evolved bit by bit over many many years and we just ended up with what we struggle with today - there was no grand master plan just a series of less-than-ideal outcomes (a pelvis that's too small for uncomplicated delivery for instance). Of course it's "natural", so's bronchitis, crappy eyesight, toothache, etc etc but that doesn't mean we should suffer with any of these things. I can't be doing with the "you shouldn't go against nature" brigade. What bollocks! We are what we are because of genetics / evolution / nature, call it what you want. But we live long enough to suffer menopause because of modern medicine, particularly obstetrics and contraception. Tough though menopause is for many of us it beats being dead which so many women of our age would have been only a century ago. We just need to do what we need to to get through it and support each other when it all seems too crappy for words.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »

Survival of the fittest?  well I weighed in earlier than expected  ::) so NHS stepped in and saved me  :-\  :D   Then I fell badly.  Again NHS was there, etc. etc. etc..  I agree Freda, good post  :)

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »

I found this interesting http://theconversation.com/explainer-why-do-women-go-through-menopause-14820 - doesn't solve the problem though.

Taz x

Dorothy

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »

Why not feel lucky that we live longer, would any of us rather be dead than be going through meno because that's the choice.

Depends on how bad it is.  I've often gone to bed hoping I won't wake up in the morning because I've felt so bad.

Limpy

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »

I think a large part of the problem here is that females evolved bit by bit over many many years and we just ended up with what we struggle with today - there was no grand master plan just a series of less-than-ideal outcomes (a pelvis that's too small for uncomplicated delivery for instance). Of course it's "natural", so's bronchitis, crappy eyesight, toothache, etc etc but that doesn't mean we should suffer with any of these things. I can't be doing with the "you shouldn't go against nature" brigade. What bollocks! We are what we are because of genetics / evolution / nature, call it what you want. But we live long enough to suffer menopause because of modern medicine, particularly obstetrics and contraception. Tough though menopause is for many of us it beats being dead which so many women of our age would have been only a century ago. We just need to do what we need to to get through it and support each other when it all seems too crappy for words.

Good post Freda - Thanks

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 09:29:37 AM »

I can remember my mum from around the age of 65 saying "Getting older's rubbish but the alternative's not any better"

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »

My opinion is that diabetes and hypothyroidism bring exemption from prescription charges because a diabetic coma or myxoedema coma would be life threatening if the insulin or thyroxine was not taken.  When I was diagnosed my blood count was just under 6 and I was on the verge of needing a blood transfusion because I had been undiagnosed for at least 2 years. If this had not been diagnosed and treated I could have suffered a cardiac arrest as a result.  As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong, HRT does not give exemption from prescription charges as the lack of it is not automatically life threatening.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »

You are absolutely right babyjane.  If we are on combined HRT then we pay a double prescription charge and some HRT preparations are cheaper than the prescription charge!!!!   Lack of oestrogen is not life threatening, however, it can certainly be life limiting and the consequences of oestrogen deficiency, particularly if you have an early menopause, can cause many health issues in the longer term. Osteoporosis is costing the NHS a lot of money and this can be reduced with appropriate treatment and HRT, even for 5 years in post meno, can make a significant difference in the long term health of our bones. Many women have to give up work because they can't cope with menopause symptoms and this is costing society  - we are now expected to work till we are 66 and beyond and the more people working the more we are paying into the system and this benefits us all.
There is a slow realisation that, though the menopause is 'natural', it does effect many women (we're talking well over 50%) in a very negative way and I think it always has - it's just that there is now help and treatments and many GPs are not giving this help.  Women are getting more clued up thanks to sites like MM and becoming more assertive about asking for appropriate treatment. There is still a long way to go and women and the GPs need a lot more education. I'd like to think things will be much better for my daughter when her time comes.
DG x

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »

I'd like to think that GPs will have more Conference-like situations purely to discuss menopause ……. sharing what patients tell them rather than ignoring the very real needs as we move through this time of Life! and realise that it can begin earlier than many GPs: and ladies: realise!

That way Practice Budgets won't be 'wasted' on fobbing off un-suitable Prescriptions!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7