Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estradiol and Provera Prescribed Today. Can You Share Your Experiences?  (Read 2978 times)

Mich12

Hi everyone,

Well after battling this peri-menopause myself for 9 years I finally decided to ask my doctor to prescribe HRT for some help. I am 47 and have not had a period in 6 months and boy am I hoping I make it to a year with no period and enter full menopause! I am tired of the hot flashes, the night sweats, the sore bladder, the UTI's, the yeast infections, the anxiety, etc. So my doctor had me on Vagifem 2x a week, which I LOVE as it works so well but that wasn't enough so she wrote me out Estradiol, 1 mg and Provera, 2.5 mg. I AM SCARED TO DEATH to take them as I told myself I would not ever take HRT for fear of blood clots, bad side effects, etc. But I really think I need this.

She wants me to take both pills each day and not take a week break or anything. She said I won't bleed this way then. I have one small fibroid that never caused me symptoms. She said it won't grow with the estrogen. I hope she is right!  :o

If you take HRT can you tell me what you take and how it works for you?

Thank You. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:56:28 AM by Mich12 »

Kathleen

Hello Mich 12.

My hormone troubles began when my periods stopped and I struggled on for three years until I decided I needed some help and began HRT. I have had my ups and downs but the main problem of constant and intense anxiety disappeared after two weeks.
I would definitely suggest you give HRT a try, consider it an experiment and keep track of how you feel. The ladies here are super informed and will be able to help you with any questions you may have. I also had a small fibroid and a recent examination showed that it had completely gone despite using HRT for more than two years so I think your doctor is right on that score.

Hopefully the HRT you have been given will meet all your needs but if not there are plenty of others you can try.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you well. Take care.

K. 

Hurdity

Hi mich12

I take Estradot 50 mcg patch and Utrogestan (progesterone) on a long-ish cycle - 6-8 weeks which gives me a withdrawal bleed because I don't like taking progesterone continuously. I'm 62 and have been on this or a similar regime for most of the past 8 + years. The oestrogen deals with my symptoms - so I don't have any of the usual ones any more, but the progesterone is always a bit of a challenge for me! I also have a small fibroid - identified by scan/hysteroscopy a couple of years ago and I am hoping it hasn't grown because I'm not taking progesterone continously as you plan to do.

Don't be scared - you are only young - I didn't start until I was almost 54 - it's good to have the extra oestrogen at your age to help protect heart and bones.

Hope it suits you and keep us posted  :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

You need this and your GP would be reluctant to prescribe if HRT was as dangerous as we have been led to believe!  Vaginal preparations have a small take up by the body and act 'locally' so absorption is where it is required  ;).  Quality, quality, quality !