Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hot flushes have started with a explosion !  (Read 6789 times)

honeybun

Re: Hot flushes have started with a explosion !
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »

I found this.....not sure soy products are suitable for people with thyroid issues.
Maybe stop until you have seen an endocrinologist .

Your question on soy and thyroid function is a very good one, and involved a bit of research! The effects of soy on thyroid function in the medical literature are variable, and depend on which species is being studied, and which component of soy is being given.

Soy consists of a number of different compounds. The most well publicized are those compounds with estrogen like activity (hence the use of soy in the treatment of hot flushes). These are called isoflavones. In addition, soy contains protein, and other compounds as well.

Studies have shown that in animals fed soy protein, there is a lower energy utilization and lower protein utilization compared to milk protein fed animals. Circulating thyroid hormone levels (T4) were lower following soy feeding. Remember, these animals were rodents, and they were fed soy as their only source of protein. In another animal study, rats fed soy isoflavones did not demonstrate goiter formation or increased sensitivity to conditions that may lead to low thyroid hormone iodine deficiency). Finally, in another animal study, rats fed soy had lower activity of an enzyme implicated in goiter. This enzyme is known as TPO- which is responsible for making thyroid hormone.

Soy has long been implicated in diet induced goiter. Since the consumption of soy products is increasing dramatically (soy latte anyone?) researchers are trying to define the component responsible. While all the studies mentioned above were on animals, we do know that in babies who have hypothyroidism at birth and require replacement therapy, we need to increase the amount of replacement they are on if we switch their feeds to soy milk. Whether this is because of an absorption problem, or a direct interference of soy with the action of the hormone remains unclear.

There are dozens of studies out there that show more or less the same.

Surely your priority should be your thyroid function and not herbal or soy products.

Honeybun
X

littleminnie

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »

If your flushes are anything like mine, they come and go. I wouldn't have one for months, then they started again  :(.   I put up with it for about 3 years then I gave up and went on HRT. Not had one since.

fran

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »

Ok D G. , so if I have no period for more then 6 months to a year , then hormones level out and then I should be post meno . And then I should start to feel a bit more normal :))) ha... Well this has been going own for more then 3 years . Last year periods were up and down , 3 months now since I had them this year... So I m hoping now that they may have stopped altogether ... I'm into my fourth week now with hot flushes.. Thank god there not as bad at night as they were... Last year I only had flushes mild for 2 weeks...

Seem to have takin a step up now... Obviously because my oestrogen levels are so low...
Oh I'm learning , keeping a diary  etc....

Thanks guys for every thing so so helpfull.. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »

It would be nice if it was a case of periods lessening off then disappearing = cessation of symptoms  ::) ……. however.

Even if a lady has been period free for 2 years she can still have ups and downs with various meno-symptoms thrown in  >:(  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »

CKLD is absolutely right - there is no real pattern to our menopause. Once your periods have truly stopped (you can get gaps of 6 months to a year between periods in the peri stage)  I believe it then takes around 2 years for our hormones to bottom out - they don't level off.  The meno symptoms are more about the lack of oestrogen so some women get the most severe symptoms a couple of years after their periods stop - whilst others sail through with barely a flush. I think it is more about our bodies adjusting to the lack of oestrogen over time so how long we suffer with flushes etc. will vary from women to women.  Some women find their flushes will settle after a year or so and others will suffer for 10 or more years.
The peri stage can be particularly frustrating as you don't know how you are going to feel from one day to the next - I'm afraid trying to find a pattern will just add to your frustration.  HRT could give your body balance if you choose to try it. As I mentioned before, as you are still peri meno, I do think you need a sequential HRT at this stage so you need to talk to your GP about this.
DG x

fran

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »

Hi DG, my doctor is away on holidays at the moment , I ll wait till she gets back and I'll explain or ask about my prescription .  See what she says.

Bad night sleep last , just couldn't sleep. Wrecked going  to work today.. Off to Moro so hoping for an improvement in sleep to night,  you know you'd nearly be afraid to go to bed :)) worrying about will I or won't .. The simple thing s in life a dame good night sleep you miss it when you haven't got it :) xx

Thanked every 1 xx

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »

Have you thought about cutting out the soy until you find out whether it could affect your thyroid.

You could be exacerbating the problem to be honest.

Honeybun
X

fran

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »

Hi Hun bun, ya I was taking 1 morning and 1 night only taking 1 now, but I may stop, altogether. I did read some where , don't ask me where , 1 of my nights when I was trying yo find answers , that you should leave 4 hours after taking thyroid tab , to take herbals to give thyroid tabs time to absorb.. So I've been doing that... And as I said I'm only takin 1 Zion afternoon...

Oh I could be just wasting my time... All I want is a feckin nights sleep.
Thanks Hun bun for caring , xx

fran

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:36 PM »

Sorry ... I meant to call you Honey Bun... My head is too tired :))

fran

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »

Hi every 1.

Just wondering has any 1 tried or know anything about Serenity cream from Well Springs.
Pages: 1 [2]