Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Face Book and the modern version of chain letters.  (Read 8019 times)

Ju Ju

Face Book and the modern version of chain letters.
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »

Just looked at Face Book.

Apparently I am heartless as I have just scrolled past a cute baby photo and not shared it. I can't possibly care about my children/parents/friends as I don't share these posts and I am definitely in for bad luck for not passing on another post.  :-\

I never responded to chain letters and do not respond to these posts. They are aimed at people's insecurities and superstitions. I find these posts irritating and potentially abusive to those who are vulnerable. I have just 'hidden' those people who regularly post these. This is not a judgement on those friends, more on my ability to be irritated!

Why do I bother with Face Book? Well, I enjoy the uplifting messages that some people post, the cartoons posted by a very talented friend, amusing videos and keeping up with young friends and relatives activities and travels.

Pennyfarthing

Re: Face Book and the modern version of chain letters.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »

I am on Facebook for two reasons. One is I run a knitting group and it is just so much easier to contact people with news or if group is cancelled for some reason rather than ringing round everybody.

also about 2 yrs ago I was organising a big school reunion and it made life so much easier too so that's when I joined.  Both for finding people and arranging get togethers etc.  Now it's up and running we have little meet ups and it's a doddle to plan.

I don't participate in any of this chain letter stuff nor sharing stuff.  Some people put the. Out bizarre stuff on like saying prayers and thanking God or you'll have a rubbish day.  I just laugh and move on.

Another thing that amazes me is all the people who "share" or post stuff which is obviously a scam. It's usually free air tickets or some rubbish about some crime that is doing the rounds and is completely untrue but they fall for it. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:42:25 AM by Pennyfarthing »

Dulciana

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »

I accept that people have good reasons for being on Facebook.  I for one see it as on the one hand, childish and on the other, intrusive.  You may have guessed I don't use it. 

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »

I have never even looked on Facebook. Never been interested to be honest. I think it's possible to set very high security settings to make it safe. My kids hardly use it anymore. They say it's old news.....I haven't a clue.

Honeyb
x

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »

I am on Facebook and getting bit bored with it especially the statuses that read about amazing days with amazing friends amazing food everything in my life is amazing .......
That said I have made contact with some old friends and it enables me to keep in touch with family that I want to keep in touch with lol.  You can restrict who sees your posts.  Ju Ju I also hate these chain letter things and ignore them. 
We did have w family rift because of messenger which is a facility to send private messages - we set up a group so me and my immediate family could keep my mother's sisters up to date with things.  What they didn't realise is everyone in the group can see what everyone else writes and two of the sisters proceeded to discuss the way I was reacting my mo mother's illness and how I wanted her in a home.  Was very hurt.  When I showed I knew what had been said,  she went ballistic.  You live and learn and she still not speaking to me. 
So it has its place but I can imagine it causes lots of problems too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »

If I had my way I would take FaceBook down ……….. there is too much bullying and rubbish which holds up the internet  ::)

As for 'friends' ……….  :-\

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »

I ignore them too, so am also a terrible person.  I had to make my 'wall' private so not to allow others to post on it.  I use facebook to keep in contact with friends abroad and two groups I am in - one is art, and one is a dog owners group we have been friends for over ten years, and have all met too despite being spread out around the UK and Germany.

I have a lot of people 'hidden' due to my total lack of patience ::)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »

I have always ignored chain letters ……….. the T-towel one was the latest but I never received any  ::): was that because I didn't pass the chain letter on  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »

Sounds like JuJu has been a victim of the 'thought police'

Do you really think I'm a victim?  If I felt I had to pass these posts on, then maybe I would be a victim. No, I choose to use Face Book to my advantage and hide what I don't want to read. There is no right or wrong about whether you look at Face Book. There has always been the potential for misuse, but I am not subject to that.

PS I am very irritated but not just with Face Book, everything! I am in the middle of a course of Norethestone. I do not get on well with it and am very, very irritated! If you want a fight, I'm your person! Only for a few more days, so be quick! Normally calm and reasonable! >:(

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »

Progesterone Pranja.

Are we all right to come out from behind the sofa yet Ju Ju  ;D

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 03:33:56 PM »

I have a select few friends on FB, with very high security settings. Those who prattle on about every bit of their life, I just don't follow. I have an old school friend who I can't hook up with as she has high security too. So we've been in touch via Friends Reunited which I joined moons ago then never looked at again until recently.  Neither of us is IT savvy enough to work out how to friend each other, when neither of us have an " add friend" button. She was the clever one at school too.  ;D

bramble

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »

I use Facebook, more to look at than use for my own stuff. I find it useful to keep in touch with far flung friends. It has its place like most things.

Bramble

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »

;D Of course!

I hate feeling this way, but as this is not the normal me, I can see how hormones can affect the way you feel!  :-\  Life is so much easier when you are calm and level headed!

I wonder whether I have an add 'friend' button. Never 'befriended anyone', just said yes or ignored if it comes up on email. I'm very IT phobic. The biggest horror in my teaching career was when the large interactive screens were introduced into classrooms and the children had more idea how to use them than I did!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »

Linkedin is the other no-no - too many questions before I could join  ::) ……….

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »

;D ….. who already probably know far too much about you  ;)