Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Travelling with a dog  (Read 8709 times)

pj44

Re: Travelling with a dog
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »

Babyjane. My dog is the same he travels ok. I don't think he totally likes car journey but he knows he is going somewhere nice and is with me and family so he is not too bad. I found that this last holiday he really was very stressed. He was stressed in caravan and did not like being left even with my daughters dog. But the thought of not taking him with me would upset me so much him too I'm sure. We have never been parted. I have had him 7 years.

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »

The issue of strange doggy smells in the property from previous owners occurred to me last week if he had been with us he might not have liked it.  I wonder if that is why he got anxious and didn't settle when we used to take him with us.  He is very sensitive.  I will have to think seriously about all this next year. In the end it will have to be what is best for him as he will be 12 and a half by then and, of course, the situation could have totally changed by then and the decision may not be there to make.

Thank you so much for helping by your posts everyone  :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »

You are welcome!  The thing is not to wash the bedding before going on holiday so that the smell is familiar  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »

I find I have to make sure my dog has had a wee before going into a holiday house otherwise she will scent mark. If she has been then it doesn't happen thank goodness.

My dog is 12 but I don't think twice about taking her. I have always taken my dogs if we go self catering....didn't matter if they were big or small they came with us  ::)

Honeybun
X

getting_old

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 07:06:21 PM »

We've travelled with a couple of dogs, and learnt a lot along the way  ;)
We always take used bedding, his food plus bowls, always feed the dog as soon as we arrive (that seemed to stop the marking), walk around the house with the dog so he knows his way around, show him the door to outside so he knows where to go when he needs to go, try to arrive early in the day so he has time to settle, we take toys, throws for the furniture, etc. These days we only rent detached as the dog isn't used to neighbours.

We rented one place which was described as a detached house, only to discover that it had a permanently occupied apartment on the ground floor  >:(  We ended up staying one night because we had no choice (they'd also decided not to provide linens but didn't bother to tell the renters!!!) and none of us got any sleep.

Dorothy

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »

That doesn't sound like fun  :(

Worth hunting round for reviews of properties online if you can, just to check that the 'dog friendly' description matches up with the reviews. 

I give my dog Serene-um tablets before travelling and she is better with them.  Chamomile treats or chamomile oil in her food also helps keep her calm.
Pages: 1 [2]