Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 1892 times)

Anjia

HRT
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »

I changed from pill to patch estrogen only and am on second pack .I started off feeling not to bad but now feel wretched I have tingling feelings  in my face most of the time a headache just unwell.The reason I changed was the pill give me bad tummy issues which fortunately has got better I don't no what to do I feel so fed up x

dazned

Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »

What pill strength were you on ? As it has to be processed by the liver you get lower dose than say a patch equivalent,if that makes sense ,so maybe you are now getting more and you need to adjust to it. Hope it settles soon.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »

I changed from oestrogen pill to patch and couldn't cope with a full patch so cut it in half and increased each time I changed, managed full patch but am now tapering down a bit to find a good amount that I feel my best on

Play about it won't hurt

Annie xx

Anjia

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »

I have a full patch on I put on yesterday morning do you think I should leave this one on and cut the next one in half or take this one off and cut a new one .Sorry to be so confusing but I need to try something feeling awful again today x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:09:16 AM »

Anjia - with the sequential patches you are using you can't just cut them in half as you won't be getting sufficient progesterone to protect the womb lining. You clearly have sensitivity to the synthetic progesterone in the patches.  You do need to complete the full regime this month. You don't say which patches you are using - you could try the different type that has a different progesterone. You may need to switch to a different HRT regime e.g. oestrogen in patch form and have Utrogestan pills for 12-14 days each month to induce the withdrawal bleed.  You don't say which patches you are using - you could try the different type that has a different progeserone.Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) is body identical so is better tolerated by many women and this would probably reduce your sensitivity at this stage in the monthly cycle. The alternative would be to have a Mirena fitted but if you are very sensitive this could also bring side effects for you.
I don't know where you are in your menopause but I find too higher dose of oestrogen can make me get headaches and the combined patches are medium dose.
DG x

Anjia

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:03:35 AM »

Hi and thanks but I am estrogen only patch as I have had a hysterectomy . I was on a 2mg tablet but had it changed to a patch the same strength I did this once before changed from pill to patch but quickly changed back this time I thought I would give it more time as the pill was aggravating my irritable bowl really don't no what to do .

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »

I have a full patch on I put on yesterday morning do you think I should leave this one on and cut the next one in half or take this one off and cut a new one .Sorry to be so confusing but I need to try something feeling awful again today x
It depends if you're ok risking your supply of them, how about peeling back a bit and snipping some off ?

Persevere, pills are easier (in my opinion) that patches but the pill was giving me daily headaches which are much more reduced now on patch

Annie xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »

Why no try using Oestrogel which you can adjust more easily.  You could start with just one pump per day and gradually increase if need be. I used it for many years and find it the best to use - I don't like patches as they can become unstuck and leave marks. You may need a slightly lower dose than the patch. DG x