Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Could HRT be causing IBS?  (Read 6861 times)

renee

Could HRT be causing IBS?
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

hi folks,

Iv been on femoston 2/10 for 2 months now but for the 3 weeks Iv had awful bloating, wind, sore side, sicky feeling and tired. I tried Buscopan for a week but it didn't help so I was at the doc on Tuesday and got meberverin and omeprazole which settled my symptoms for 2 days but woke up through the the night and all the symptoms are back!!!

I did have a really bad bout of anxiety about a month ago and the doc thinks this could have set off an imbalance in my gut, Iv never had this before and wasn't sure if the HRT was upsetting my tummy too.....

Any advice would be helpful thank you xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Could HRT be causing IBS?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »

More likely to be because of anxiety = extra acid in the gut.  It's my weak area.

renee

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »

You too CLKD?

So have you had to take meds for the upset tummy feeling? Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:32:13 PM »

Since I was 3 years old  :-\ ………. Milk of Magnesia was the staple in our house or a spoonful of honey - literally, Nature's healer  ;).  Years of being anorexic caused the gut to stop working so I would eat but feel immediately sick because there was no room in the stomach.  Add to that 'events' which caused anxiety surges which would make me unable to go into the kitchen leave alone think about eating  :'(  :-X ………

Anxiety can cause excess acid = wind which means it can be more difficult to eat.  Then the body gets hungry and food impacts = wind …….

Ginger biscuits can help with wind  ;) and DH puts ginger in most of our meals (except steak/fish/chips).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:39:10 PM by CLKD »

renee

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

Wow....I didn't know that anxiety could even cause excess acid etc. I'm learning!!!

Sounds like you could write a book CLKD.....thank you for your advice, your always so helpful to everyone on here.

Ginger snaps on my shopping list for tomorrow!

❤️

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »

You could be better using a patch if the pills are upsetting your stomach. There are far fewer side effects and a lot of people actually find HRT helps IBS.

What side is sore renee?  If it's lower left it could be a touch of diverticulitis. That's the classic place for the pain. It can also cause bloating too.

I didn't find omeprazole worked for me. I was better on Lansoprazole. I have also had a really good result from using Gaviscon Advance. It has really settled things down tummy wise for me.

Honeybun
X

renee

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »

Honeybun....it's my right lower abdomen. Just above my appendix, but I have no appendix.

I'm going to give the omeprazole another week and if it's not any better, I'm going back to the doc.

Ye it's probably from my anxiety....Iv learned a lesson though, take my anxiety meds!!! 😬

renee

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »

Is that right sparkle.....I'm confused now, thought it was supposed to help these things.

Thank you I'm away to google lol xx

GeordieGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »

Diet diet diet. Our natural enzymes and overall absorption levels reduce as we get older and we're more susceptible to gut problems, but also a number of other issues that lead back to these. Rather than treat / mask the symptoms with antacids, it's better to recognise the cause ...

We have recently overhauled our diet radically and I can't even begin to tell you how much more energy I have. The mid afternoon tiredness is gone, even at 10:30pm last night I was still bouncing around. My skin is soft, my daughter's eczema has cleared up, and heart burn is a thing of the past.  We've cut out anything processed and are eating 70-80% fruit and veg. Dairy and gluten have been reduced massively and the other day I succumbed to some fresh bread and it felt like concrete in my stomach for ages afterwards. Sugar has been massively reduced - it has no nutritional value - and salt also.   I've been completely radical on this but you don't need to go to such extremes to see benefits. Try eliminating key food stuffs to see what is your trigger.

Hope you get it sorted,
GG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »

Progestogens relax smooth muscle, which slows intestines down.  I get slow transit constipation - there may be other effects?

The progestogen level in hrt is fairly low - much less than a progestogen only pill and combined pill (which seems to contain the most).

MrsMopp

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »

My IBS is much better since I started on HRT patches  :)

renee

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »

Last few days things were getting better then this afternoon it flared up again, in John Lewis.....I sprinted kinda like a scene from Cagney and Lacey through the bedding dept to the toilet!! Lol.

Phoned doc when I got home and he said the omeprazole and meberverin should have helped a bit more as I'm 8 days into taking them.

I'm picking up a stool sample kit tomorrow and sachets of fybogel. I have to double up the omeprazole until Monday and if no getter then back to see doc. Iv had this in total for nearly 3 weeks.

If it's going to be a re current thing I'm going to ask togo on patches. I'm living on porridge as the doc said it won't upset my tummy. Iv had no fruit, caffeine, alcohol, wholemeal or spicy for 2 weeks. I also feel quiet tired and light headed after an attack.

I'm trying lol thanks everyone ❤️