Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: White discharge  (Read 8036 times)

sorbet

White discharge
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »

Hi all ,
I need some advice or reassurance or wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar.
 I started Vagifem again just under a month ago for constant uti symptoms , sore burning urethra and dryness.
I originally used it a couple of years ago but after 2 bleeds ( which were just within the 12 months without a period timescale ) was slightly cautious even though I had scans including transvaginal which showed fibroids but normal uterus lining .
I had decided the discomfort and constant antibiotics was too much so went back on the Vagifem.
I have for some time noticed something didn't feel right , I would do a little wee if I laughed and it's often hard to actually get a good flow , so was sure there was a prolapse somewhere. I know we all hate examinations and I actually have a phobia but saw female locum and asked her to check if there is a prolapse .
She frightened me to death by saying there's only a small prolapse but I have haemorrhoids ( I have never been regular and steroids for RA  don't help ) , and a worrying white discharge .
She  said that isn't normal at all and she took a swab . I thought it must be yeast from all the antibiotics as I'd never noticed any discharge , my underwear is spotless no signs of anything .
I did the wrong thing and googled and I'm so stressed . I'm finding this whole menopause hard , always anxious tearful , hot and sweaty without worrying about health issues too .
I've had a smear within the last 4 years as they change to 5 yearly after 50 .
Has anyone else noticed white discharge and could it be the Vagifem ? I hadn't used one the night before she examined me but had the previous evening as I'm on 2 per week . Thanking any advice in advance . x

Limpy

Re: White discharge
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »

Has anyone else noticed white discharge and could it be the Vagifem

I would think the "white discharge" is an indication that the Vagifem is working.
It's probably normal vaginal fluids being produced again.
Same thing happened to me when I started to use Gynest cream.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Sorbet.
Do look at a thread called 'The Burning Club'  - I think you may well be a member.  UTI and bladder issues together with burning etc. are classic vaginal atrophy symptoms and regular, longterm use of Vagifem is usually necessary to help keep things healthy. Some of us need systemic HRT alongside local oestrogen treatment to keep things comfortable around our lady parts so you are not alone with these problems.The white discharge could well be thrush - when meno hits we become dry and the flora balance is upset so bacterial vaginitis and thrush can easily take hold. ABs will also cause thrush.  Slight incontinence is also common as we loose muscle strength - pelvic exercises can help with this.
Perhaps increase the amount of water you drink to help reduce the chance of UTIs and this would help with constipation. Add more fibre as well to help sort out the haemorrhoids - I'm sure your GP will give all this advice. Slight bladder prolapse is also very common - so I wouldn't worry about that - just do some pelvic floor exercises. There are NHS clinics that help with all kinds of bladder issues which your GP could probably refer you to for advice and help as this is so common.
To help restore and maintain the right flora balance in the vagina there are a number of vaginal moisturisers you can use alongside the Vagifem that can keep things more comfortable and healthy e.g. Multi Gyn Actigel, Hyloafemme (there are quite a few to try) - do an internet search as you can buy them online.
Have you considered HRT? If not, why not?
Incidentally, you may need to do a 2 week,daily reload of Vagifem (as you did when you first started) to help restore things - many women do this once or twice and year and then use Vagifem 2-3 times a week in between.  The dose of Vagifem is so low some of us need to use this higher dose.
Keep us posted.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »

Most vaginal discharge is 'within normal limits'.  Until we get to a certain age  ::).  Often a thrush 'discharge' will smell yeasty or fishy.  But the GP probably used the wrong words to explain why she was taking a swab  ::) ……..

Thrush ITCHES  :-X  >:(  ::) - high up!  If you haven't had a discharge on your panties then it is unlikely to be serious.  IMHO it's unlikely to be thrush either …….. (awaits result with interest ;-) ). 

Did the GP suggest any treatment for the 'piles'?  If they cause problems then maybe a discussion later on.

Are you feeling more relieved?  Dr Google should be avoided unless 1 knows how to read the various 'reports'  ;)

sorbet

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:51:16 AM »

Thank you for your replies lovely people . I certainly have more food for thought . This burning club is not one I wanted to join but it's good to know we're not alone . I likened it to the feeling id imagine you'd feel if you stuck a red hot chilli into your vagina . I will drink more water as it will help with flushing bladder and encouraging more frequent Bowel movements . The piles seem to have gone already after using a steroid suppository prescribed by the GP .
She said the discharge wasn't normal for a woman of my age . It isn't an STD , I checked myself for those after my husband had an affair and we are now divorced and I'm not sexually active . I will wait for the results and take it from there . This is a wonderful forum  . I regularly check for advice and it's good to know we aren't alone . Take care all , I will let you know how I get on . x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »

If you are taking vagifem or any other type of oestrogen then it is perfectly normal, the silly locum should know that...even if you are well past 50, I would not stress :)

sorbet

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »

Thank you Cassie , iI thought the locum was stupid too and also thoughtless . Some doctors have no bedside manner  and there is often an increase in anxiety while going through the menopause . I will wait for results to come back and ask for smear test to put my mind at rest . x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »

Let us know the result …… some Professionals know what they mean in their heads but can't relay it to the patient  ::) : I spent many hours explaining to patients what the Clinical Assistant/SHO's had really meant  ::).

Glad that the piles have been 'sorted', the GP at least got that 'right'  ;).

I had razor blades 'up there' and the treatment prescribed really worked!  I use the application at night so that it remains in place for longer ……. what goes up comes down  :-X

Greenfields

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »

Just to say that I noticed an increase in vaginal discharge on starting HRT and thought it was perfectly normal - that it's just a sign that the hormones are working - and I'm 51 (52 this year).  I'm not sexually active either.

I once had thrush (years ago) and like someone else said, it smells and it itches - so it doesn't sound to me like you have that - you would really know if you had it as the itching is very uncomfortable and the smell isn't very nice either.