Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Why does work have to be so horrible about illness?  (Read 2380 times)

SallyG

Why does work have to be so horrible about illness?
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:55:35 AM »

Do any of you work in HR? I am really puzzled and a bit upset by how work is reacting to my return. They were fab when I was signed off but now HR seemed to have disappeared leaving my control freak stiff upper lip boss to seemingly control my phased return, and its scaring me and stressing me out. On my days off I am at home worried about whats going down. ie yesterday. I guess my behaviour has been strange when I was very ill with depression and still trying to soldier on. I threw wobblies and had tantrums but just didn't realise what was wrong with me. Its taken me a while to get back and now I am I don't want it to be messed up.
Sally G

Spangles

Re: Why does work have to be so horrible about illness?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:21:43 AM »

Hi Sally
Can you not speak to occupational health and see if they can help?
I hope things are better for you soon.
xXx

SallyG

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:56 AM »

Shelb, yes Im going to on monday. First port of call. Sorry to keep ranting on about it but it is very real and scary and to do with the menopause.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »

Have you sat down with this 'boss' with HR and asked him/her?  People have their own agendas sadly ……..

Greenfields

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »

So glad you are going to see them Monday SallyG.

Before you do, sit down and write out in a formal way the way your boss is currently allocating your workload versus what you were led to believe were to be the guidelines from Occupation Health. 

Writing it out formally (and it might take a few drafts) will take the emotion out of it - which means that you will be calmer on Monday when you go and see Occ Health.

Hand the letter to Occ Health so that you have a written record of your concerns on the record in case things get difficult further down the line (ie cover your ass!).

It might also be helpful to ask whether Occ Health or HR can have a meeting with you and your boss present where they mediate over what your boss's expectations are versus what is realistic and what should be being done.

This might be very scary particularly if there is power dynamic and you feel vulnerable to being let go ... however the flip side is that, if it's possible to have something like this, then its all out in the open and your boss will also be made aware that his behaviour towards you is being tracked.

Have you got a union rep you can lean on for support?

Are other people present when your boss makes unreasonable demands on you with respect to work?  If so, would they be willing to confirm this to others (eg Occ Health)?

I really feel for you.  I had a very difficult boss in my last work place and I finally lost it with him just before I left (which is most unlike me but I was pushed too far and then some and my co-workers agreed with me).  But he had a long history of grievance actions against him and still hadn't and hasn't been removed ... some organisations just don't get it.  Unfortunately, I can't now use him for references but his line manager offered to be a referee for me.

Sending hugs xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »

Some Organisations will *never* get it  >:( ….. because they are sorted financially or are constantly looking over their shoulders ……. been there etc. etc. ……..

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »

Hi,
if you are worried that this may be leading to you loosing your job , then you need to take action . Are you covered by the disability discrimination act ? You may well be and that affords you more rights. I would record in clear, unemotional terms that you are trying your upmost to do your best at work , but you are frightened of loosing your job because of your condition and list the problems you are having. I would also contact your union rep. You need to take control, and that will help .

Pepperminty xx