Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sir Tim Hunt  (Read 6628 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Sir Tim Hunt
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »

Should he have stood down from his Uni job because of comments made at a Conference? i.e. that women shouldn't be in the Lab. because they might fall in love with male students and because they have a tendency to burst into tears …….. get real, that's what girls do  ;D and when we get to a 'certain' age ………  :P

Limpy

Re: Sir Tim Hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »

It's difficult to comment on.
OH has had lots to do with scientific research, supervised PHDs and suchlike.
If somebody had good ideas, that was good, didn't matter what gender the person was.
As long as they did the doctorate/job.

When he was in his commercial employed position, he got very p@ssed off at anybody who didn't do their work for whatever reason. If the women burst into tears and did their work, fine, otherwise.......  they weren't doing their job.
Women on maternity leave were seen to be a total waste of space, if they didn't do their work.

This situation didn't happen with female PHD students, they were focussed, they just did things. They wouldn't have been sponsored for their doctorates otherwise.

It has to be said, many males in scientific research do have an old fashioned view towards the female of the species.
I don't think Sir Tim should have stood down. The main thing, in a university envornment has to be to get decent scientific work, it doesn't matter what gender does it.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »

OH has had lots to do with scientific research, supervised PHDs and suchlike.
If somebody had good ideas, that was good, didn't matter what gender the person was.
As long as they did the doctorate/job.

Daughter's partner oversees lots of PHD students in his job as a science researcher, both male & female. Likewise, so long as they do what their supposed to.

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »

Had a brief chat with OH about this.
He thinks that Sir Tim met his wife when they were working in a lab together.
Don't know what her reaction is all this.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »

A joke gone wrong perhaps. He should have known better but these days in our very politically correct world it would seem no one can say anything.

I hate political correctness with a passion. ::)

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »

As you say HB a joke gone wrong.
It's a shame, the guy was trying to be funny. Ok, it really didn't work.

I listened to some of the women who were unhappy after the incident.
"Po faced harridans"  is the expression that springs to mind.
Not sure if anybody will want to collaberate with them after that.

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »

Even if it was supposed to be a joke, does it actually reflect this man's attitude towards female colleagues?  If not, why would he ever think of such a comment??  I work in a male-dominated industry (having previously worked in a science-based job) and this is a damaging attitude. 

Not saying such things is not 'political correctness', it's merely professionalism and good manners.  I cannot see how the comment could be amusing, so it's certainly not a joke.  And believe me - I am NOT easily offended (my office is full of men and the banter is anything but politically correct .. but it IS funny).

A man in his position simply should not be making such comments in public.  Like it or not, we all have professional standards to maintain.

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »

A man in his position simply should not be making such comments in public.  Like it or not, we all have professional standards to maintain.

Er - He's 72 and married to a woman he met whilst working in a lab.
Oh, and there is the little matter of the Noble prize that he received.
Which professional standards isn't he maintaining?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »

Women cry.  Maybe men don't like us crying because they have been raised for Centuries to keep a stiff upper lip!

One woman in the audience said that it was obvious that he was digging himself a deeper and deeper hole and she kept thinking 'for goodness sake shut up'  ::)

Not a reason to stand down though  :-\