Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Reply from manufacturers re: spray tan.  (Read 2558 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Reply from manufacturers re: spray tan.
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »

Just checked my email and they have replied. Very inconclusive. They basically just quoted the information leaflet for Estradot back to me, which I was actually perfectly capable of reading for myself. They also (helpfully) pointed out that the Estardot information leaflet doesn't specifically mention whether a spray tan would hinder oestrogen absorption.

E, yes, I had noticed that hence why I was emailing them for more information  ::)

They ended the email suggesting I ask my GP or pharmacist for more information as they would be more aware of my medical history. Though why my medical history of various UTIs, 3 pregnancies and the occasional chest infection should have a bearing on if a spray tan would affect transdermal patch absorption, I don't know  ::)

My husband is a scientist, and had a read of the ingredients present in most spray tans and he remarked that even if the tan itself didn't create an actual physical barrier through which the oestrogen would struggle to pass, he said that some of the chemicals in the spray tan were pretty 'nasty' and could well interfere with the efficacy of the oestrogen molecule.

I still intend to check with my pharmacist as I think they're more likely to know than my GP. I really think this is quite an important issue which needs highlighting and possibly more research?

Because if this IS the case, then it needs specifying on the information leaflet for transdermal patches. Whilst on holiday I was careful, after showering, to not apply any body lotions/creams or powders to my abdomen, as I always am. So in my mind I was carefully following the instructions. But a spray tan is something quite different to a powder, lotion or a cream.

It also raised another question. Would a transdermal patch work if applied to heavily tattooed skin? Would the ink effect the oestrogen chemically?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reply from manufacturers re: spray tan.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »

:thankyou:  ….. DH is a chemist but we don't have the products to hand to check  ::)

Perhaps the Company may well implement their own investigations on the back of your query though  ;) not that they will let you know  ::).

How much tattoo ink is taken into the deep layers of the skin?  we did have a lady on here that 'did' body artwork  :-\

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »

Hi CLKD

DH googled the chemical composition of spray tans and wasn't impressed. 'Not very nice to have on your skin' apparently. But he's not a pharmacist, so doesn't know enough.

It's quite worrying though. Millions of women wear transdermal patches and millions of women have spray tans. I can't believe there isn't some research on the effects?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »

Hang on - pharmacists are trained with medicines, chemists with, well chemicals  ;D and those products  oven cleaning cans that tell the buyer that they 'contain no chemicals'  ::)  :-X ….. everything around is chemically based.

DEET is nasty but it works!  It's knowing when to use these products and for how long that is important. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:04:57 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »

So the moral of the story ....is keep your knickers on  ;D

Then all will be fine.

Could apply to a lot of scenarios over a lifetime  ;)

Honeybun
X

Sorry couldn't resist.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

;D  ;D  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »

Oh HB, as I was reading this same thought was running through my head. Sorry GRL.  ;D