Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gardening question  (Read 13295 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gardening question
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »

I bought lots of herbs on Thursday.  Somehow we had 'lost' our mints ……… and with new potatoes I needed more.

This morning, in the drizzle, I picked enough roses for 5 large vases  :) - occasionally the scent wafts across the room.

Picked first strawberries, alpines, red currants and raspberries this week  :-*

dazned

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »

CLKD have you ever had/heard of a "blind " clematis? I have one every year it grows up lovely and strong,about six foot ,plenty of leaves but never flowers  :-\ Any ideas ?

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »

Do you prune it at the 'correct' time of year?  Do you have the label ….. it may give you the clematis 'name' so that you can look it up?  I have a supposedly, Winter-flowering clematis: Freckles : which has flowered when it likes for the last 18 years  ;D.  it got it's act together in Jan. and flowered at the 'right' time …… but the flowers should be perfumed but aren't  ::)  :(

dazned

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 04:19:49 PM »

Safely the label's wandered   :whist:

I cut it back in autumn maybe I will leave it this year and see what happens. Divided up a load of bearded iris this morning put some in the front garden and gave a load to the neighbor.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 04:22:20 PM »

I love iris but it doesn't do well here …….. not enough space to have a bed dedicated to it.  Also it gets very weeded up as we are built on an old field  :-\ with lots of creeping buttercup.

Leave the clematis to do it's own thing - cutting it back in Feb. might be a way to go if you've done an Autumn prune without flowers?  The other thing is to wield the secateurs and creep up the plant then shout "If you don't flower this year" and wave the cutters …….. worked on my almond tree  ;)

dazned

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »

Naw tried that last year ! Said if you don't flower this year you are destined for the dustbin !  ;D
It obviously didn't listen not a bud in sight I think it was called Henri . :-\

oldsheep

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »

this sheep eats mint  ;D

Interesting about catnip. I have the light purple one - grew it for my (late) cats, both of whom ignored it. Obviously the wrong kind. They went bonkers for Kitty Hoots organic dried catnip. Hilarious. Loved your ginger dopehead kitty story Taz  :D

Interesting what rabbits don't eat. One thing we don't have in London is bunnies. Too many foxes!

bramble

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »

Dazned. Some clematis flower on old wood and some on new wood. You may have one that flowers on old wood and by cutting back in the autumn you are cutting off the old wood so no flowers the following year. Once it flowers, the rule of thumb is: if it flowers after June, hard prune in spring as it flowers on new wood. Otherwise prune after it has flowered just to keep it tidy as it flowers on old wood. So no pruning for the next year just to see when it flowers, then you can prune accordingly.
Bramble

dazned

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 05:38:50 PM »

Thanks Bramble will leave it alone this year and give it one last chance  :yes:

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »

Wag your finger at it each time you walk by  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »

we have an acer, small tree, green leaves, planted in the garden where it's been for 4 years. I've been watering it regularly along with all the other plants and given it 2 weekly plant food. Both it and the little rose right next to it have suddenly wilted in the last few days - leaves drooping and crinkled up. The tree stem still looks healthy but the leaves look like the acer is dying.
I'm baffled. Any ideas?

PS I've just seen the other, main gardening thread! sorry
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:52:09 PM by oldsheep »

bramble

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

How regular is 'regularly' and how much each time? How big is the acer? They do not need feeding at all.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 08:19:14 PM »

Vine weevil  >:( eating the roots or a mole?
Pages: 1 [2]