Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why do some women take 7, 10 or 12 days of Utro per month?  (Read 5520 times)

Hurdity

Re: Why do some women take 7, 10 or 12 days of Utro per month?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Interesting difference in advice from the ref Nina gave on the patient.co.uk website, and this one (ie MM) which says only that if you start HRT while still having periods then wait until age 54 before going onto continuous combined HRT.  :-\

I wonder what Dr Currie's view of this is and why the major difference?

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »

Interesting difference in advice from the ref Nina gave on the patient.co.uk website, and this one (ie MM) which says only that if you start HRT while still having periods then wait until age 54 before going onto continuous combined HRT.  :-\

I wonder what Dr Currie's view of this is and why the major difference?

Hurdity x

Same thought did cross my mind as my GP said wait until I was 54 or until I'd gone for a year without a natural period.
Out of interest, am I right in thinking some people (ie those still having regular periods)  take 100 mg Utro for days 1 -26 rather than 1-28 in order to still have a bleed? I am sure I read that on here (from forum members)  but can't find any reference to it any more.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

It's not that Briony (ie to uinduce a bleed) - it's just that the licensed dose of continuous combined utrogestan in post-menopause is to take it on days 1-25 - and I'm not sure why this is.  http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php . It is presumed that if by any chance the lining has built up a little - then this would allow it to be shed - but in practice most women take it every day and are advised to do so by their docs (those who know about HRT anyway). In most cases there would not be a bleed because 25 days progesterone in post-menopause shpould be sufficient to thin the lining but this will also depend on the oestrogen dose - it may not be enough with higher oestrogen doses. In practice the Days 1-25 utrogestan is intended as a no-bleed HRT.

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, that makes sense now. I had often wondered! X
Pages: 1 [2]