Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice again with heavy bleeding  (Read 2601 times)

cherylks

Advice again with heavy bleeding
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

Hi, I know I have posted before about this but now really have to make a decision.  Am 51, peri.  On & off for a couple of years have had bouts of very heavy bleeding.  Last year went 3 months without period then normal periods again.  For the last 2 months I seem to gush blood for a few hours or days then absolutely nothing for 6-12 hours then it all starts again - huge clots (half size of palm at times).  Have just moved so will see a new doc  And am going on very first cruise in two weeks time.  Haven't wanted to try HRT due to bad adverse reactions in years gone by and know Mirena Coil was mentioned on here before.  So scared about anything with HRT in it - think I react badly to progesterone.  Also scared the coil might be too uncomfortable.  What do I do???  The cruise is my gift to OH for 50th birthday and don't want to ruin things but can't manage as I am whilst on a boat.  Any posts gratefully received. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice again with heavy bleeding
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »

There is a medication which will ease heavy bleeding. Of course, Meno-brain here has forgotten the name but it begins with a 'T'  :-\ I think.

2 weeks is cutting it a bit fine to hope anything will 'work' but you could visit a Pharmacist for advice, they have private rooms these days. 

cherylks

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »

I have been taking transexamic acid for five days and its not working.  Had it last year and it worked then.  How long would it take for HRT to start making any difference? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »

I think a Mirena would probably be your best bet at this point and you could then add some oestrogen if you get flushes etc..  An HRT like Femoston 1/10 sequi that has a kinder progesterone (so well tolerated by many women) might help things settle and would take around 3 months to bring your bleeds under control.
Why are you frightened of HRT? Have your been hearing all the horror stories and none of the positive ones? Do read all the info on this site as you will hopefully be reassured it is well worth trying.  DG x

toffeecushion

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 03:44:00 AM »

I am in a similar situation to you.  I have heavy periods normally, missed a period and then had a very heavy long, 4 week one.  We are also on a cruise in 6 weeks time.  The last this happened we went to Florida and it was difficult.  I am at the doctors on Friday and think she may suggest the merina as well.  But I am worried that I will suffer side effects of the progesterone while away as there isn't effect time before I go to get used to it.

Where are you cruising?

cherylks

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »

hi Toffeecushion, we are going around the UK on a 10 day cruise.  Never done anything like this before! 
Dancinggirl, I had HRT many years ago cos I didn't get on with any of the pill, but i reacted to hrt also.  Seem very sensitive to changes in hormonal levels. 

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »

You will have a lovely time.  We are doing a 12 night Baltic cruise.  We have cruised before and the beauty of cruising is that you are never far from your cabin, which for me and my heavy bleeding is a great plus point.