Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strong smell....  (Read 16434 times)

Isithotinhere

Strong smell....
« on: June 07, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes! I apologise in advance for the somewhat yucky subject matter  :-\

I have been taking Vagifem for about 3 years now and it helps a little but I don't find it to be a miracle cure. I know it is meant to stop the shrinkage of tissues but lately I have found that when I am washing in the shower, things feel different and I have to physically "open myself up" to get properly clean, if you know what I mean? Also, on that subject I notice the smell from "down below" is very strong. It's not particularly fishy so I don't think it's BV or anything but it's really getting me down. I feel like it's there even when I have just been in the shower. I have just been looking at Femfresh products but obviously anything like that will only be masking the problem.

I should perhaps mention that for some reason I do not have smelly sweat. I don't know if it's to do with being hypothyroid but my body sweat has very little smell. My only problem is my lady bits which rather than a lady garden is now getting more like a compost heap! 

Has anyone any ideas?

Jenna

Re: Strong smell....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »

Maybe try a vaginal moisturiser (I use 'Yes' water- based) on the days you don't use Vagifem. It is pH balanced so should keep your vagina in a healthy state to help prevent thrush etc., You can get a free sample from their website.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »

It's probably just another sign of getting older Isithotinhere but it may be worth asking your GP for a swab to check for infection.

As far as I know the vagifem doesn't stop shrinkage but full HRT can help with this although it's not prescribable as far as I know purely to keep the vagina looking as if it's pre-menopausal. Vagifem does plump up the vaginal tissues so that sex is more comfy and also that your urinary tract is kept healthy.

Taz x

Judith57

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »

Hi Isithotinhere, I am having the same problem at the moment. In fact I gave up on Vagifem as it caused the most dreadful smell. I am now on HRT but think I am going to stop that too as I have a strange 'scorched' smell and my lady bits also have a composty, dried blood smell, it is horrible. It all coincided with me starting HRT. I have had a thorough MOT of my bits with a top Harley Street sexual health consultant and everything is fine and the ph balance is perfect. I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I found some information on another site that did confirm that some women find HRT gives them a distasteful scent  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »

I don't take HRT but smelt 'odd' I even began a thread ……. Vagifem may have done it's 'job' for you, maybe try another vaginal application - keeping the tissues supple is important - I use Ovestin, the loading is every night for 2 weeks then every 3 and 7th night.  Adds oestrogen to keep the area plumped up  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »

I don't think it's Vagifem or HRt that causes this change in smell around a lady parts - I think it is just part of vaginal atrophy and the fact we are not producing the amount of hormones that keep everything acidic and healthy around that area. Local and systemic oestrogen will help but I've given up expecting things to feel like they used to.
BTW - I wouldn't actually clean up inside with any soap etc.  - aqueous cream is quite good as soap can kill the good bacteria and make things worse. I only use feminine washes and very superficially to try and maintain the natural flora balance. There are a few vaginal moisturisers that can really help to keep the balance right so I would experiment with these. 
Stopping HRT whether it's local or systemic could make things worse. DG x

Isithotinhere

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »

Thanks for all your advice ladies. If it doesn't improve I might pluck up the courage to go to the docs...bit embarrassing tho  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »

Does your Surgery have a Nurse? or if you don't want to see someone you know, is there a 'clinic' close by?  You only need to go once  ;).  When I went to BOOTS eye dept there was a 'special' clinic on the same floor !

Would LIVE yoghurt applied ease symptoms?  It has healing properties (as does honey but that's sticky ;-) )

ancient runner

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »

If you are really embarrassed you'll have a sexual health clinic locally who'll check you over, do swabs and give you results on the spot. They're not terribly clued up on menopause symptoms in my experience but will tell you if you've got bacterial overgrowth or your internal pH is off. Your name isn't used publicly so it's all anonymous (or it should be- when I went at the start of my VA problems, when I thought I had thrush/cystitis) and was using my smartphone in the waiting room, it was picking up wifi from something nearby called John Smith's Phone - presumably from the bloke in the waiting room! Very anonymous!)

Miriam

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »

I had this problem for years & although at the time not menopausal, I did end up getting some of those PH balancers from boots. They are in individual aplicators & once I used them, I no longer smelt like a kipper!!
Maybe you could try them? I only had to use them for 4 days & have been fresh since!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »

I also think that the sense of smell alters - I ask DH to sniff me and he says I smell 'normal' - what ever that is  ;D talk about 'even your best friends don't tell you'!

MrsMopp

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »

I've been getting BV for years but just lately it seems to be occuring more and more. I am currently looking at alternative (expensive) treatments - capsules containing probiotics which are supposed to work on the vaginal area even if you take them orally.

It's horrible knowing that you have an odour down there.  I hate it, but at least it doesn't burn, sting or itch.  I console myself with that positive thought.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »

Everyone smells - it has always amazed me how different to the house in which I was raised smells to those I have over the years, visited  ::) even family houses …….

Jenna

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »

Mrs Mopp - your GP can give you antibiotics for BV. I once had BV after a gynae op and the antibiotics cured it immediately.

Sarai

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »

Sweat does not smell when it is produced, the smell comes from bacteria that get on to it.
Pages: [1] 2