Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Think I might have solved my mystery. Do you agree?  (Read 4131 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Think I might have solved my mystery. Do you agree?
« on: June 05, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »

Started on a higher dose (50mg) of Estradot just over 3 weeks ago. Initially felt better for it. More myself, no anxiety and sleep was better etc.

A week last Sunday I applied a patch then went for a spray tan, but was careful to keep my patch covered during. Flew on holiday on the Monday. First few days of holiday were fine and I enjoyed myself. Changed my patch on the Thursday, but had to apply it to skin that had been spray tanned. Within 36 hours I just wasn't feeling as good anymore. Felt flat and tense   :(

Changed my patch on the Sunday morning and again had to apply it to skin that had been spray tanned. By the evening my mood had really dipped and the anxiety was back. Slept very poorly. Monday and Tuesday were quite grim, as I felt so low.

Travelled back on Wednesday and I felt so bad that I had to take diazepam to get on the plane, we flew through the night on Wednesday and the diazepam helped. But yesterday morning I felt awful. couldn't even look forward to seeing my children again  :(

Went to change my patch yesterday afternoon and it wasn't there! I checked and it had come off and was stuck to the inside of my pants! Don't know when it came off, could have been as early as the Wednesday morning as that was when I last showered and put clean pants on!

Could this explain why I felt so dreadful before boarding the plane?

I am also now wondering if the oestrogen in the two patches I applied while away just wasn't being absorbed properly because of the spray tan on my skin, and that's why I started feeling progressively worse during the second half of the holiday?

Yesterday I managed to apply my patch to a little area of skin, right near my crotch that hadn't been spray tanned and today I am slowly starting to feel better. This can't be a coincidence can it?

Does this make sense to anyone else? And has anyone else experienced something similar when oestrogen wasn't being properly absorbed? 

SueRoe

Re: Think I might have solved my mystery. Do you agree?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »

I can well believe that you can't absorb your hormones from the patch through spray-tanned skin. I'm surprised nobody's commented on this before. Might be worth a query to the manufacturer for the benefit of other users? Glad you enjoyed (most of) your holiday!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »

I just never gave it a second's thought Freda  :(

But thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. The spray tan just sits on top of your skin, so must create some sort of barrier stopping the oestrogen being properly absorbed. Or even stopping it being absorbed at all! I was fine whilst wearing the patch which I applied pre spray tan. But then after applying the next patch, on to spray tanned skin, I just felt worse and worse as the days went on  :(

Can't believe I was so stupid!

Still hopefully other people might now be warned.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »

Maybe you're right!

In terms of the patch falling off - it's worth getting into the habit of having a quick feel when you go to the loo (or sitting at the computer at home!) as Estradot are so small - and I always make sure I try to stick any loose edges down. I never go a day without mine as I would always discover quite quickly that it wasn't there!

Glad you are feeling better  :)

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »

There have been some discussions on here about the difficulty of getting patches to stick.

Anything on the skin, be it moisturising shower gel, hair conditioner, moisturiser or indeed, spray tan will not help the patch to stick properly.

The patch won't stick to the skin, there is a layer between the patch and the skin. Not surprising it falls off!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »

I was also using a super moisturising shower crème too (though no body lotion). I don't suppose that helped much either?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »

That's a good idea, Hurdity. Have you had problems with them coming off?

I've not had a problem with one falling off before. But I have had several problems with getting them to stick in the first place. Like they're dud patches or something?

You try and press them on, but they immediately go opaque (normally they're completely clear as you know), and I genuinely don't think there's anything on my skin at the time?

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 07:38:47 PM »

Think you're correct GRL, it all shields the skin from the patch.
We've got to be constantly vigilant.
I've just found a lovely moisturising shower wash that I really like.
It ain't easy remembering not to use it on patch change days.  ::)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »

Yes, I suppose the spray tan + plus residue sun lotion + residue very moisturising shower crème = very little oestrogen being absorbed.

I'm going to have to leave two patches either side of my navel which I keep completely lotion/crème/tan free.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 07:44:29 PM »

Hi again GypsyRoseLee

No I've never had any real problems with them - but if I stick them too close to knicker line or slide my low-waisted skinny jeans off without undoing the button (I don't have much of a waist any more!) then they've sometimes come off. Also in summer when it gets hot and if I'm sitting/sunbathing in a chair they tend to slide about a bit. They always stick on straight away - need to press firmly with warm hand for 30 secs. I usually walk about with hand on my bum until the allotted time!

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »

I'm going to have to leave two patches either side of my navel which I keep completely lotion/crème/tan free.

I suspect either side of your navel might be a bit too high, not sure, see what it says on the patch information leaflet.

As long as the patch area hasn't got any moisturiser / oil on it you should be fine.
Good luck

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »

Evorel sticks like glue. No matter what you do they never come off....ever.

They are slightly bigger than some of the patches but boy do they stay on  ::)

Honeybun
X

Greenfields

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »

Evorel sticks like glue. No matter what you do they never come off....ever.

They are slightly bigger than some of the patches but boy do they stay on  ::)

Honeybun
X

Oh I can relate to that one.  My Evorel patches leave great big black squares on my skin as I wear jeans and the dye tends to accumulate around the patch edges when I wear them and my patch is stuck on my thigh - I've just been trying to remove the marks from my skin.  I seem to remember somebody mentioning baby oil a while back - I didn't have any so I used coconut oil.  I now reek of coconut and have managed to get some of the marks off but not all of them - they are very persistent.

Spangles

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »

Yes definitely big black squares with evorel!
Yes GRL I would know within a few hours if my patch wasn't there as my mood would dip.
xXx

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »

The black squares are MUCH worse when sexy black undies are worn.
Quite ruins the desired effect  ::)
Pages: [1] 2