Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena v Oral contraceptive  (Read 3089 times)

Dorothy

Mirena v Oral contraceptive
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »

Hi,  My GP has advised I can remain on oral contraceptive if I want to, but has also suggested I consider a Mirena coil - my gut feeling is 'NO!' as a) I am really squeamish at the thought and b) I don't want to rock the boat.  I don't feel great at the moment, but I know I could feel a lot worse.

Are there any outstanding benefits to Mirena that I should consider?  I don't need it for birth control, just to keep me healthy and enable me to continue living a reasonably normal life!  So unless anyone comes up with a gold-plated reason to change, I'm sticking with my little pill...but would be grateful for your comments.

P.S.  GP was really helpful, listened well and recommended MM as a good source of information  :)...SO glad I changed GP as my last one couldn't even be bothered to listen to my symptoms!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena v Oral contraceptive
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »

That's good news about your GP being 'on board'  :medal:

Can't help with your query though.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »

Dorothy - what are you taking at the moment?
The benefits of the Mirena can be the cessation of any bleeding and you can add as little or as much oestrogen in pill, patch or gel form to control flushes etc. This means if you need to really up your oestrogen to improve how you feel you don't need to use lots of extra progesterone to counter this which often causes the problems. The down side is possible slight sedation in the first few weeks with the initial hit of progesterone, spotting for the first few weeks and possibly some tummy cramps  but, in theory, very little progesterone should be absorbed systemically which usually reduces the negative side effects many women experience and everything should settle within 3-6 months.
Many gynaes are very pro the Mirena these day as they offer a good solution for problematic bleeding and reduces the side effects that many women get with progesterone. I can understand your reluctance - I was certainly not keen on the idea of a Mirena but I did have one during post meno for over 4 years and found it fine. If you are finding your current regime is controlling all your flushes etc. then stick with this for now but you might want to consider the Mirena with separate oestrogen later to give you a more stable regime.   DG x

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

Thank you for your response.  I'm on Ovranette at the moment, flushes are worse when I have a break, but not too bad.  Worse problems at the moment are sleep disruption/tiredness, joint ache and dryness, which I'm trying to manage via supplements and lifestyle changes.  I think I will stick to oral contraceptive for now and bear Mirena in mind if things get worse.  I went on the pill originally to control severe & long-lasting cramps and heavy bleeding, so I am reluctant to try anything that may result in more cramps!  Also, I seem to take a very long time to recover from any 'procedure' in that area, which is another reason I don't like the idea.

BTW, I've been told I can stay on the pill till I'm menopausal but...how do you know you are if you are on the pill?   :-\

Briony

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 10:32:23 AM »

Hi Dorothy, I've recently switched to a newer HRT style pill which has only a two day break, meaning the usual symptoms experienced on no-pill days are much less prominent. It's also bio-identical, which appealed to me. Could be worth you looking into Qlaira if you haven't already? x

PS One of the reasons I avoided the Mirena, despite my GP being keen on it originally. was that it would have made the balance between my (already deficient) oestrogen and progesterone (normal levels) even worse. (I would have obviously taken additional oestrogen with it, but a number of friends who've got the Mirena warned me initially some people get a big  dose of progesterone before it settles).  If I am honest, I was also a bit scared, especially when the doc said since I have not had children, the FPC would need to fit it for me rather than her! That said, I have many friends who love the Mirena in terms of calming heavy periods and easy contraception.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:38:44 AM by Briony »

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »

Thanks, Briony, I will ask about this.