Hello
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:32:35 AM by Ceres »

Annie0710

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:41:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum Ceres

I had a vaginal hysterectomy back in 1999 age 32 due to total prolapse, I chose that method as I'd seen family members in and out within 3 days, however, I signed the consent form to say if he saw anything necessary in addition, he could do it

He decided to tighten me down below whilst operating (which my husband at the time said he couldn't feel it had bad tightened), and was stitched underneath,  so I ended up in hospital for a week as I had bled quite a bit during surgery, I felt quite poorly for about 5 days.

But overall, I was decorating 5 weeks post op, and back to work at 6 weeks

Good luck
Xx

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »

I had mine done that way 10 years ago - 2 days in hospital, 5 weeks off work - for endometriosis - best thing I ever did as I had so much pain from the endo!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »

:welcomemm:

If you do a search for 'hysterectomy' you will other Members' discussions …..

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »

Hi Ceres - I had a vaginal hysterectomy in July for prolapse. I had twelve weeks off work altogether. I wondered whether you have been offered any other treatment as hysterectomy is a major op. Has anyone mentioned the possibility of ablation to you?  Have you got lots of help at home for the recovery period?

Taz x  :)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »

Ten days is a bit optimistic I think Ceres. Overall recovery is the same whether you have laparoscopy or not. It is still the removal of a major organ and it does take time for your muscles to recover. Although you wont have much to see externally you will still have the same amount of healing to do inside and it's important to remember that if you want to avoid prolapses. I'm not sure if you have had a look at the Hysterectomy UK site? They have a really helpful forum where you can ask any questions you want. There's a monthly club where you can also chat to women at the same stage as you which really helps when you feel you might be recovering more slowly than others. This is their advice re recovery http://gallery.mailchimp.com/a5692c6457e86f0e2182630fa/files/sbs_recovery.pdf?utm_source=Free+Hysterectomy+Booklet&utm_campaign=30c61c525a-Booklet-14&utm_medium=email

Do you have anyone else at home apart from your husband who may be able to help? 

Taz x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:28 PM »

She then told me that, for legal reasons, she is unable to prescribe me with oestrogen cream until she has had a look at my private parts so that she can rule out anything else. Anything else like what? I can make a pretty good guess at what she is suggesting. And frankly, I think she is mad! She should be struck off. People my age have atrophy. Elderly women in their seventies have CANCER. That is what she is trying to suggest. Vulval Cancer. And all I wanted was a bit of oestrogen cream for my menopausal symptoms!

Sorry to support the doc, but it's not just elderly. Certain cancers may be prevalent in certain age groups but aren't exclusively so. I know someone who died of cervical cancer in her late teens - below the age of screening as young girls obviously don't get cervical cancer.  I have bowel cancer although it's more prevalent in older ages.  It may be inconvenient but it's a good thing that she's thorough - not just for legal reasons but for you too.   That said, a lot of doctors simply don't recognise menopausal symptoms either....

GG x