Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Roof Starts getting Replaced on Thursday.........  (Read 22697 times)

honeybun

Re: Roof Starts getting Replaced on Thursday.........
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2015, 07:08:59 PM »

It's only if you are changing things that the LA needs to be involved. Otherwise country wide it's the same.
You can also apply for retrospective planning after a job is done if you want.
The planning laws have changed over recent years as David Cameron thought they were too restrictive ...and he was right.

We have built both a conservatory and extension without planning as we kept within the designated scale. Our extension did have a building warrant but no planning. We checked with our solicitor and then had no issues selling the house.
We are still waiting on our final stamp of approval for a loft conversion that required velux windows.  We have been in the house nearly five years now  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »

:thankyou:  I thought of something about this topic in the early hours, of course now I can't remember what I was going to type  ::) …..

……… other than there is an article on thatching in one of the magazines I read during the week …….. not something I would every contemplate, I wouldn't even consider buying a house in the same street as a thatched property !

Limpy

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »

Getting something signed off has the quaint underlying assumption that the job will be finished.

The chimney rendering was finished this morning, took all of 2 hours.
The roofers have gone elsewhere till Monday.
It's been dry today, it's forecast to p@ss down early tomorrow morning.
The roofers assure us all is watertight, well, it is, apart from where there are holes.

Feeling a bit fed up with things.
Strangely enough, they never presented us with an invoice for their advance.

CLKD

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »

:-\  ask them ?  :-\

Tell them that you are keeping a scrap book about the property though 1 should not have to justify why  ::)

Buckets at the ready, in case?

Limpy

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »

We didn't ask them, we assumed they would bill us.
Thinking on, they went awol last Friday afternoon as well.

Buckets and old towels at the ready.
Some temporary cowls have been put on the chimneys.

Limpy

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »

Roofers are back in force.
The plan as of this morning, was for them to finish tomorrow, then for the joiner to come on Wednesday and finish the fascia boards. Chimney is also getting swept on Wed, so busy busy busy.

Incidentally, new slates are required for some of the roof facets. Spanish slate is being used, seems weird since we are only about 10 miles (as the crow flies) from Welsh slate quarries!
Mind you, it's being used around the back where it won't show so much.

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »

It's all formed the same way Limpy  ;D

I thought of you this morning when someone was mowing the lawn at 7.30  :o  :beat: :beat: :beat:

Limpy

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »

The roofers are pretty well finished, they're coming back tomorrow to "finish off & tidy up"
OH has been into loft and all is dark, no daylight showing at all, so that's a definite improvement.
Joiner is due on Wed to do fascia boards.

Limpy

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2015, 03:17:02 PM »

I thought of you this morning when someone was mowing the lawn at 7.30  :o  :beat: :beat: :beat:

OH did ours yesterday at 8.30  :-\
The excuse - he wanted to do it before the heat of the day, 
Luckily, there aren't neighbours close by   ::)

Limpy

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

The main Roofer came today to tidy up.
The roof is complete  :)
All we need now if the joiner to come and finish off the boards.
Oh, and there's a tiny bit of render needs doing, don't know who's going to do that  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »

Sounds good Limpy, all in all not too much trouble with roofers.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »

That's what we think Honeybun.
OH is convinced they do things differently/badly purely to torment him.
Like you, I thought it went pretty smoothly  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »

Well, it turns out the roof isn't finished at all............

We were getting the chimney swept this morning, also, OH had a suspicion that there was a cavity in the top of the flue / chimney stack which was accumulating soot (the giveaway being black water running down flue after heavy rain). He wanted the sweep to see if such a thing existed and remove any soot that had gathered there is there was. This was done, yes there was a gap full of soot, that was sorted. So, now we need to get somebody to fill that void without clogging the flue up. BTW we also need to reattach power cables to house, so we contact the builder who sorted the rendering out. He says he will try to come tonight to discuss things.....

The really worrying thing is OH has looked more closely at the lead on the roofing work and it just hasn't been done properly. Some pieces haven't be fixed properly and are waving around, other places just don't have lead at all and have gaping holes open to the elements, always on the side where the prevailing winds and rain come from. OH intends to speak to builder tonight to see what the best thing to do is.

This isn't good ladies.

Joyce

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »

Not good at all Limpy. That needs sorting out for sure. Builder didn't reckon on your hubby checking their work me thinks. I hope he turns up tonight.

Limpy

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »

CG the thing is it's the Roofer who's messed up!
The roofer wouldn't do rendering or joinery so we had to contact the builder to get those things sorted.
We were naive, we assumed roofers did everything to do with roofs, they have in other places we've lived in. We were wrong.

Hopefully the builder will arrive tonight, we need to arrange something else with him anyway. If he doesn't come tonight, OH will contact Roofer first thing tomorrow to say we aren't happy with whats been done.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9