Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hair Dye?  (Read 7527 times)

Grangravy

Hair Dye?
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »

Over the years I've tried all manner of styles and colours, but these days the colours I used are vanishing and many dyes just don't cover the gray!

Right now, my naturally dark brown hair is a sort of dark mahogany, but it's starting to lool drab. May hair used to be so fine, but now it's much thicker (a bit like my waistline).

I used to lighten it with bleach years ago, but last time I tried I tried it didn't work, and I had to dash down to Tesco for another dark dye wearing a wooly hat (in June).

Anyone with naturally dark hair use a home bleach or dye that works? I don't need to look like Marilyn Monroe (fat chance) just lighter than I am now.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't do hairdressers, as I prefer to experience disasters in the privacy of my own home :)

babyjane

Re: Hair Dye?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »

I just wanted to say hi.   You are lucky as my thick wavy hair has become thinner and finer over the last few years.

I am no help with your question as I have never dyed my hair as I am happy with it and too sensitive to chemicals and stuff.  I am sure there are a lot of ladies who will soon give you the benefit of their experience though.  Good luck finding something that works  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »

Why not have an appt. with a hairdresser to see what is available professionally?  Ask the questions then go away to consider, then look on the shelves of the supermarkets. 

I had a very good chap who attended the house, he could tell at once that I had put home dye on over the years as it's a matt finish.  He did hi and low lights over a period of 2 years and it looked lovely.  Now I have let the grey grow out over the last 5/6 years.  Like that look too.

What ever you use make sure you wear rubber gloves. 

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »

I like the Olio dyes or Nice and Easy.

My dye fades quicker in the summer, think it's the sun.
I try to find a colour that says Ash.... Brown or blond. They seem to take better for some reason. Have a look at the colours on the back of the box and go for a colour that's much lighter than you actually want. They always come out darker don't you think.
I always try to avoid any peroxide so end up reading ingredients.

Your dash to Tescos did make me laugh. The amount of times that has happened to my daughter as she tried to go from one colour to another....black, blue, red or purple  ::). Fortunately she has grown out of that stage.....pity the same couldn't be said about me  ::)

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:47:20 PM »

That's what my hair dresser did, always went lighter and once, much lighter than I liked  ::)

Don't go for the over-all colour either, grey hair doesn't 'take' the same as natural hair does.  Let it colour and 3 weeks later if you think it's not 'right' then put the same colour over again.  Do a patch test first as sometimes the dye can itch+++.  Even the hairdresser used dyes which itched and under the cap he used  ::)

ellie

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »

Be very careful trying to take dark hair lighter yourself.....What have you got on it now?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

Who me, nowt - naturally brown with natural grey hi-lights  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:41:14 PM »

Grey hair takes up colour differently and as for eyebrows, DO NOT COLOUR  ;D

ellie

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »

Yes grangravy talking to you, sorry 😉.  My opinion would be to go to the hairdressers (sorry I no you said you don't like going) ...The orange bits are because you are trying to cover grey/white bits up with the same colour as you are treating the dark hair...The colour you have on needs stripping before you attempt to have another colour. Trying to lighten dark hair yourself will likely result in a lot of red tones ......If you wanted to go a lot lighter,your hair needs taking through all the shades to get to blonde and then a colour adding.....
Sorry I know it sounds complicated, but not if your a hairdresser......Better safe than sorry.........

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »

I colour my hair at home, after several disastrous trips to the hairdressers, and find that the roots are always lighter. This was also the case when I went to the hairdressers, but at least with the home dye my hair is in much better condition. I've found Nice & Easy seems to be provide the most even colour, but not used it to lighten hair.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »

There are certain shampoos that don't 'take' colour but I can't remember which ones  ::)

A good shampoo and then a shampoo and conditioner at the next wash will be beneficial too.  Got me thinking that I might have another go at colouring but first, I need a Very Good Cut!

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »

My grey takes colour just fine. I only go a few shades different here and there but it's not a problem.

I have home coloured....years ago....from dark brown to blond. And then back again.

My roots are never a different colour. You put the dye on the really grey bits first.....wait....then colour the rest.

It's really not that hard.

My daughter has paid more than £80 for a dye job.....ummm not me.

Honeyb
X

ellie

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »

honeybun you are lucky that your hair is easy to manage, most people with grey/white  streaks have problems, as it's more resistant to colour. As a retired hairdresser I have seen a lot of home coloured hair disasters....It really does depend on your hair type and natural colour.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »

If my hair starts to misbehave I will take it to the hairdresser. I have a good one that comes to the house which I find great. No sitting in a salon for hours which I always find stressful.

Honeyb
X