Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Skipping a period on Femoston 1/10  (Read 12454 times)

Marge53

• First Flush
Skipping a period on Femoston 1/10
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »

Hi,
This is my first post as I haven't been able to find a similar topic so apologies if the answer's here and I can't find it!
I'm wondering if it's possible to shift the withdrawal bleed backwards or forwards as was possible when I was taking the Pill. Am I better taking extra or fewer white (oestrogen only) pills or extra grey (added progesterone) ones? I'll be on holiday when my next period is due and would much rather move it if I can.
Thanks,

dazned

Re: Skipping a period on Femoston 1/10
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »

Hi not to sure how you can achieve this without running out of tablets   :-\

You would have to keep taking the progesterone part as I understand it you get the bleed when progesterone is withdrawn. Sure someone else will be along who is on it too help you further. But if you start on the next packets progesterone you would then be short if you see what I mean  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »

Hi Marge53
 :welcomemm:

Yes I think you could split the first packet and take the next lot in the middle like so:

First packet:16 days oestrogen only
Then start second packet and take it as normal ie another 16 days oestrogen only followed by the 12 days of combi tabs
Then take the remainder of the first packet ie the 12 days of combi tabs. After stopping these you will get a bleed.

However - if you are still peri - then your own cycle could break through when you are taking the oestrogen only pills and you could bleed when you don't want to!

The other possibility is doing it back to back so:
first packet  16 O (oestrogen) Then 12 O&P combi tabs
second packet back to front 12 O&P combi tabs followed by 16 O tabs then back to normal.

However this would mean you were on continuous progesterone for 24 days before you were then on 32 days of continuous oestrogen so maybe not ideal?

Prob best to check with your doc/pharmacist - this must be a common question - to find out the best way - unless someone on here already has!

Hurdity x

Marge53

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »

Thanks for the info. I've tried to speak to the doctor but she hasn't rung back yet.
The hrt I'm taking has 14 oest and 14 progest tablets but the principle's the same. Having read a bit more on t'internet I'm going to try finishing the oest tabs a week early and go straight to the combined tablets. Thanks for the warning about breakthrough, I'm only away for 4 days so should be able to adjust to cover that.
Hopefully the doctor will ring back this time....

DebsMK

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »

However - if you are still peri - then your own cycle could break through when you are taking the oestrogen only pills and you could bleed when you don't want to!

Sorry to push in here, but I noticed Hurdity's comment above and I wondered of this could've happened to me?  I missed a bleed but then had one around a week and a half into the oestrogen pills.  Could my own cycle be taking over (I've been on Femoston for 6 months)?

I would be interested to read what your GP says Marge53 as I was wondering the same thing for my holiday :)  x

Marge53

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »

Hi DebsMK,
I did manage to speak to the GP yesterday and she confirmed that taking fewer white tablets is the best way. How soon to start on the grey depends on how many days you want to bring forward your period but cautioned against not taking enough of them - not sure what would happen then, but I only need to bring it forward a week at the most.
Since taking Femoston for just over a year I've had a some months where I haven't bled at all, but not midway through the oestrogen part.
Holiday is the first weekend in June so will let you know if it works  :)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »

Glad your GP confirmed it to you - I did similar in the beginning of my HRT regime (also on Femoston 1/10) and it worked just fine.  Just as an aside I was on it for around 3 years (before switching to conti) and often had months with either no bleed, late bleed or very little - guess your own hormones must come into play a little.

DebsMK

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

Thank you Marge  :).  I'm pleased they sorted it out for you.  I guess I'm used to having a monthly bleed so panicked a bit when it cam in the middle of the oestrogen.  I'm still debating whether I need to go and get a higher dose.  Enjoy your holiday! x

Marge53

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »

Hi all,
Pleased to report it worked! In fact I came on a few days earlier than hoped but that's better than later. Go on holiday on Friday and will be packing white jeans  ;D
Thanks for everyone's input, this is a really useful site.
Maggie x

DebsMK

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

So pleased it worked out for you!  Enjoy your holiday and white jeans  ;) x