Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Difficult day with hormones trying to appear well at work  (Read 2022 times)

SallyG

Difficult day with hormones trying to appear well at work
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »

Felt very hormonal today and yesterday - like how I used to feel when I had a period. The last time I had a bad flush was when I had stopped taking red clover. So I must keep taking it as well as the HRT I am on. A gel and a capsule. I told the occ health lady that my depression was caused by the menopause and that women need support in the workplace. I don't know why but I just had to tell her how I felt…that the atmosphere is stressful as I am meant to be on a phased return and gradually, gently integrating. Not being surrounded by stress. I don't know whether it did me any good. But its better to let people know how I feel as they keep saying that I must tell them how I feel. So I told occ health  lady. She listed my symptoms from yesterday and I told her it was a virus - which is what it added up to.I am worried though.

Hugs
Sally G

Chocolatechaos

Re: Difficult day with hormones trying to appear well at work
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »

I found that initially my return to work went well, I was pleased to be returning to some normality. However, after a little while I realised that work was still the same as it was when I went on sick leave, the same things that stressed me were still there. I was slightly improved with hrt but not the same as I was before. This is the key, you are recovering and it takes time. It took a while to slip down the perimenopause slope so I guess it will take time to climb back up. Once you start to control the menopause symptoms your body will be able to deal with the work related stresses better without being overwhelmed. It takes time to accept that you have changed and to become at ease with this. I don't know that I will ever find the old me and if I will be able to work at my max clinical capacity again but maybe I am being given the green light to slow down. Be kind to yourself as it is early days. I have come on further myself but still have some hurdles to overcome. I have another 25yrs of working life yet so I have to work through it somehow!

SallyG

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »

Thanks yes that all makes perfect sense. It did take me a long time to slip down the peri-menopause slope - yes it did. And that describes exactly what happened. A slow descent downwards without knowing what was going on. Yes I have changed. I want to slow down but like you have some years ahead of me. I am registered for a Phd but my Director has also been off for over a year now - a similar aged woman to me -so that is on hold for a year. Everything feels difficult today but was fine yesterday. I am very tired after my full on flush and virus y thing yesterday. Everyone is saying I look much better but I still feel hormonal.

thank you
Sally

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:18 PM »

The job meanders on - it is yourself that changes.  Once your treatment gets sorted and you get used to returning to work, it should be probably not easier but maybe bearable: and if someone asks, tell them …….."I'm menopausal, how long have you got "  ;)