Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Gastric issues plus back ache, severe health anxiety again.  (Read 5675 times)

Sarai

We'll blow me if my mind hasn't found another thing to fret over. Stomach ache, that is my actual stomach, I truely believe it's wind, as it passes with a burp. I don't get acid that I know of either. But the big but is I also gave a bad back not far below my bra line. Should I be surprised, no but my mind is fixated on pancreatic cancer as foolishly I read about it. I hate Dr Google. Please help

babyjane

Re: Gastric issues plus back ache, severe health anxiety again.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »

I know, I also Google and then diagnose myself with the worst case scenario  ::) .

I went to the out of hours GP yesterday with a worry and confessed to having looked it up and worried myself.  She was lovely and asked me what I had read that had concerned me.  After I explained she went out of her way to reassure me, offer a practical solution and didn't rush me at all, making eye contact all the time  :) .

Health anxiety is real and can be disabling but a patient and understanding GP can do a lot to help by making you feel you are not being ridiculous or wasting time.

I hope you can find reassurance to help with your worries Sarai.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »

It's probably just wind if it's helped by burping. Digestive issues are very common in meno. I am another sufferer. At the moment I have had indigestion for about four days.
My sensible head says this has happened before and like you it's relieved by burping....
My panic head says oh heck it's my heart and I will be dead within the week.

As BJ says health anxiety is very real and not nice at all.

You could speak to your GP just for reassurance if that will make you feel better.

Honeybun
X

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »

Hello Sarai.

I haven't had this particular problem, but hey, there's still time lol.
I was just wondering if health anxiety results from the fact that we can feel so bloomin' ill in so many and varied ways with this meno malarkey. Rationally we know our bodies are probably just responding to change but it's easy to loose sight of that when a previously unkown symptom appears. I am also constantly amazed at the power of hormones and their influence on our physiology and telling myself 'it's just my hormones' doesn't always help calm me down.

I hope you feel better soon, both physically and emotionally.

Take care.

K.

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »

I wrote this in May just realised, and guess what troubles back and I'm fretting again.
Trouble is I know I got monthly gastric ache for at least ten years coincided with bloating and I know I've had trouble with my back for over 5 years.
But now I know a certain cancer symptom my brain keeps fretting.
What can be done for health anxiety with real pain.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »

Have you spoken to your GP.

What medication are you taking and what do you really imagine is wrong.

I self diagnose all the time and it turns out to be something very simple and nothing like I thought. It's normally gone by the time I have an appointement with my GP.

Health anxiety is truly awful, and I don't have an answer.

You are not on your own though.

Honeybun
X

Sarai

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »

I am on ADs have been for a long long time. I do have auto immune disease and take blood thinners so I have opportunity to fret over them too.
On this particular occasion pancreatic cancer after reading about it, even though I don't have half the symptoms.
If bowels alter just once, then bowel cancer. I had a breast cancer scare this year so dare not look at boobs anymore. Luckily I don't worry about my heart at all ever. Plus having had headaches for 45+ years I don't worry about them either. Cancer is my big big fear.
I going to start CBT but don't hold out much hope.
I used to be a nurse but did not worry at all back then, since I first got post natal depression I have had a tendency to worry but now in meno I am worse than ever.
I have realised I am writing on here much too much
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:41:25 PM by Sarai »

Briony

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »

One of my first meno problems ... And I too 'diagnosed' pancreatic cancer !!! I had embarrassing wind/burping and pain around my bra strap. The gastric issues just resolved themselves, but the mid back pain hung around for ages and developed into tingling and shoulder pain.  Had lots of tests, scans, MRIs but nothing significant found; two years later, aged 42,  hormone fluctuations were found to be the cause. Milk of Magnesia and Motillium both helped before I started HRT.  Like the others say, worth getting checked  out, for peace of mind, but hormones very likely to blame. Think what being pregnant does to your gastric system.

Xx

Ps if you can, use this site rather than Dr Google. It will help preserve your sanity!

GeordieGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:18:51 PM »

Can I just say that if you really do think you've an issue, please please get it checked. I mentioned something 'in passing' to my GP - and wasn't actually over worried about it, unfortunately it's turned out to be Stage 2 bowel cancer.  I can't tell you how relieved I am I mentioned it, and even more relieved she referred me.  Most of the time your concerns will be unfounded, but there's no harm in getting them checked if you're showing symptoms.

Ps if you can, use this site rather than Dr Google. It will help preserve your sanity!

I have to say I've found "Dr Google" an amazing help over the last 6 months, and really feel it's helped me question and challenge my medical team both on hormones and the cancer, rather than just go along with what's on offer initially. There's a wealth of information out there, but it's important to make a judgement call on the sources you use and the  credibility of the information given. 

GG x

Briony

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

Can I just say that if you really do think you've an issue, please please get it checked. I mentioned something 'in passing' to my GP - and wasn't actually over worried about it, unfortunately it's turned out to be Stage 2 bowel cancer.  I can't tell you how relieved I am I mentioned it, and even more relieved she referred me.  Most of the time your concerns will be unfounded, but there's no harm in getting them checked if you're showing symptoms.

I have to say I've found "Dr Google" an amazing help over the last 6 months, and really feel it's helped me question and challenge my medical team both on hormones and the cancer, rather than just go along with what's on offer initially. There's a wealth of information out there, but it's important to make a judgement call on the sources you use and the  credibility of the information given. 

GG x

Fair point GG, that's why  I said get it checked out just in case. I've followed your other posts and often remind myself of how glad I am that I got things checked first, reading what you're young through.

But once you've got the all clear, and know it's hormonal, I've learned to avoid Dr Google - this has  massively helped me. My symptoms were not typical menopause so the info online sent me   on crazy tangents and made my anxiety far far worse. (Had a potential MS diagnosis for a year). It was the experiences of  ladies on here that  finally convinced me to push to have my hormones investigated - something my GP plus Dr Google never once considered, due to my age and atypical symptoms.  Sadly, when it comes to hormones/menopause, chunks of the internet seems to be a bit behind, compared with info on other health topics (it was incredibly helpful when my mum was diagnosed wth cancer, for example)  -   especially if, like me, you're not a text book meno  case.

On a more important note, really hope things start looking up for you -  xx