Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Feeling very low, need some advice, please help :(  (Read 2119 times)

Jobo

Feeling very low, need some advice, please help :(
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »

I am hoping someone on this forum will be able to shed some light or give me some advice on my situation as I am feeling a bit desperate and terribly unhappy 
I am 45 years old and have been post menopause for 5 years.
On advice from my GP I started HRT as she indicated that I was classed as being young in the menopause so for health benefits this was advisable.
I am now on my 5th type of HRT and am feeling pretty dreadful.
Types already tried:
Prempak
Premque
Elleste duet conti
Elleste Duet combined
Femoston
Now on Femseven patch !
I have opted for combined HRT as I was having problems with bleeds, basically it wouldn't stop and on advice from a gynaecologist after problems with some of the other HRTs causing breakthrough bleeding combined therapy would be better in the light of the fact I have not had a period for 5 years.
Before I started with Femseven patch I was on Femoston 1mg however night sweats were a real problem and was prescribed 1mg estradiol with this as they don't do a above 1mg estradiol.  This only helped slightly with the hot flushes so on my last visit to the GP she got further advice from a gynaecologist and I was recommended Femseven Patch, as this goes straight into the blood stream.   I have heard so many positives about patches and I thought this would be it! 
At first all seemed ok but over the last few weeks I have noticed I don't feel good at all I am so so tired and no matter what I do I can't shake it off, my head feels fuzzy all the time and I cannot concentrate, it is taking so much effort to write this !
I am the type of person who is on the go all the time, can't sit still! Now I just can't motivate myself to get out of bed in the morning!  and it takes me until at least dinner time to even feel a little bit like my old self.  People at work have commented on how tired I look!
Is there anyone else with similar experiences?? Or anyone who can shed any light on my situation.  I am even beginning to wonder  is it the HRT at all or something else underlying. 
Although the Femoston and extra Estradiol were not perfect I am beginning to think they might be better for me.
I am at the doctor's again this week, I am so frustrated and fed up 4 years and I am still suffering.

Hurdity

Re: Feeling very low, need some advice, please help :(
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »

Hi there - sorry to hear about the problems you're having trying to find the right HRT.

By combined therapy do you mean continuous combined ie the no-bleed type, or the cyclical one where you have a predicatable withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks? Usually the latter is recommended for unpredictble bleeding that some women get on continuous combined HRT, as well as for those who suffer from side effects of continuous progestogen.

Usually the advice is to try an HRT type for 3 months to allow the side effects to settle before changing. One thing though - if you were OK on Femoston - they do do it in higher doses as Femsoton 2/10  http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php which would give you a monthly bleed. Personally at your age I would want to be on a higher dose of oestrogen.

Alternatively you could try an oestrogen patch (such as estradsot) with separate progesterone (Utrogestan) - which is the natural one - like our own hormone. This could be taken continuously or on a cyclical basis to give a withdrawal bleed if you suffer side effects from continuous use.

If you look under HRT preparations, treatments http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php  - all the different types are listed - for peri-menopause ( these are the cyclical type) or post ( conti-combi).

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Jobo

Re: Feeling very low, need some advice, please help :(
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »

Hi Hurdity
Thank you for your reply.  Sorry I do mean the continuous combined - no bleed type.  I have tried the HRTs with predicatable withdrawal bleed but these were no good as I also got breakthrough bleeding.  I had a look at the various types of HRT on here but am finding it all so confusing.  Does the Oestrogen patch with seperate progesterone give a withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks or is this continuous combined treatment?  Is this just 1 patch ?
Have you ever heard of anyone else with similar symptoms on here.
I had a terrible time on Elleste Duet and through reading on here realised the progestogen seems to be the problem that's why I tried the Femoston because it is more natural like our own hormones.  Unfortunately the 2/10 of this gives a withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks.
Thanks again
Jobo