Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Lichen sclerosis  (Read 5344 times)

shrimpette

Lichen sclerosis
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:33:21 PM »

I've had LS for 13 years, managed myself for most of this time as GP practice(s) almost indifferent. Menopausal for over two years (now 50) and now I have weird tingling of labia majora for last 6mths or more and worried I have VIN, pre cancerous condition. GP said VA at first but now seeing gynae.  Anyone experiencing tingling with LS and/or menopause? Yet another scare!

honeybun

Re: Lichen sclerosis
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »

Sorry I can't help but it has been spoken about before. Have you done a search to see what comes up. It might just help.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »

Why not treat the feelings as Vaginal Atrphy initially so that you have the chance of some relief?  Nowt to lose and you may find the symptoms disappear.

If you do a search for Lichen sclerosis you will see any other threads on the Forum !

shrimpette

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:23:37 PM »

Thanks for replies. I've done a search and nothing has come up. Back to see consultant on Thursday so will see what he has to say! Xx :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »

There are 20 mentions on here ……. I'll bump some.

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:31:57 AM »

I have tinglings most of the time down there and mine is nerve damage .....it is possible the LS has irritated the nerves down there.....try and keep calm ( easier said than done) until you have seen the specialsit.

I had ? LS but I have seen two top dermos who say no.....however I aslo no that in a few rare cases some ladies do not show signs of white....so I am monitoring also.....but will pay for a biopsy if I feel necessary.

I was originally told by a gynae I had it ......so it's hard to get that diagnoise out of my head.....at the moment I am using estriol local oestrgen for the area on the assumption it's meno/nerve problems.

VIN is extremely rare.....there is a very good FB group for LS and on there is a 90 minute u tube video by Dr Goldstein in America who is one of the if not the world leader on LS......very informative watch/listen.

shrimpette

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »

thanks Mary Jane. I definitely have LS as I have the white plaque which can build up (I treat with dermovate) but I rarely itch these days and for quite some time and I don't have any sores, or lumps and bumps. So you are using estriol cream on the assumption that it is meno/nerve damage? Can I ask whether you have a bad lower back? I have issues with lower back pain and it's been acute recently. I wonder if there is a connection? I've too have tried estriol cream and it helps to some extent but the tingling doesn't go away completely.  Thanks for the link to resources. The consultant said he will do a biopsy if it doesn't clear. Hard not to worry. Hope you get the support you need. Sounds like they're not sure what's going on with you.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »

Did you read the 'bounced' threads?  They should have shown up ……..

shrimpette

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »

Yes, thanks CLKD, just the one dating back to 2013.  :)

shrimpette

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

I ws particularly looking for posts about tingling. Is tingling caused by VA/meno or like me with LS. Hopefully I don't have VIN!  :(

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »

That's good.  See, you are not alone >wave<

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

Yes lower back problems ......which can also cause vulva/vagina pain as all the nerves come off of each other.......I have PN peudendal Nurelaga which is the General suspect for vulvadynia/rectum/vagina burning.....this nerve is very best friends with the sciatic nerve......which is friends with L5 etc and L5 is where most of us have back problems from......so for me I have impingement at L5.....which aggravates the sciatic nerve.....which really aggravates the the pudendal nerve ......and the labia /clitorise is where the pudendal nerve finishes......having said all that the treatment i steroid cream where appropriate/ local oestrogen cream ( age dependant) drugs like amitriptyline/noratriptyline/gabapentin/pregablin for nerve pain works for 30-50% of patients......local lidnocaine to try and switch off the nerves......and ice the area........I hope yours can be nipped in the bud......out of interest is the tingling all over or just in one area......nerve damage is tingling /burning/numb and aching.....muscle pain is generally just aching........of which I have them all......but are a lot better than a year ago.....but still life changing.😏

shrimpette

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »

maryjane - sounds like you are coping brilliantly although I agree symptoms are massively life chanaging.  I have tingling in the inside of the labia majora (one side in particular) in the main. I sometimes have some numbness after sitting (very ocassionally) and some clitoral pain  due to the LS tightening the skin.  I am so glad you are feeling better than a year ago. I think we have 2 distinct conditions rom what you say. I'll let you know what the consultant says on Thursday.  Take care and thanks for your help. xx