Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: post menopausal symptoms  (Read 2315 times)

jess

post menopausal symptoms
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

Hi! I am about 3 yrs post menopausal. Not sure what 'symptoms' someone like me could be experiencing - I have heard hot flushes could go on for years, is this true? And if so, what other symptoms could I put down to hormones? There is alot of information on peri menopause but not much on post.... Thanks x

Dancinggirl

Re: post menopausal symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »

jess - yes, flushes can go on for quite a few years but many women find they settle anywhere between 6 months to 5 years.
Skin will become more dry and itchy, joints may ache more, lack of energy, loss of libido, poor sleep etc. - the list goes on and on. We are all different so post menopausal symptoms will vary - some women sail through and carry on as if nothing has changed. Problems with vaginal dryness and discomfort is probably more common than we think but this is something that many women don't like to discuss so will often put up with because they are embarrassed to discuss this with their doctors.  Problems with bladder function and UTIs is another area that is quite prevalent. A good diet and sensible exercise can help to alleviate many symptoms and if that doesn't help then HRT is the only real option.
Oestrogen deficiency can cause all sorts of problems but I wouldn't look for problems - just try to stay healthy.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »

Hi jess - what symptoms are you experiencing that you are wondering could be due to menopause? Depending what they are, anything that is a cause for concern you should discuss with your doctor to rule out anything serious. In addition to the things Dancinggirl mentioned there is the potential for osteoporosis because of decreased bone density due to lack of oestrogen. if this is in your family you could ask for a scan to check this and see if you are at risk?

If you are still under 50-52 a course of HRT might be beneficial, but I assume you would already have been offered this if your last period was significantly under this age?

Hurdity  x

jess

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »

Because of the hot flushes and aching I went on hrt. Been on it about 2 yrs now. Intend on coming off it at 60 (i am 57 now) when I have been on it 5 yrs, doc said. As soon as I started taking it the hot flushes and aching stopped immediately. But recently the aching is beginning to return. Am thinking of going back to the doc to re assess my hrt and see if it needs tweaking. Have recently started taking tumeric and upping my water intake, don't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to have helped a bit...

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »

Maybe get a blood test so doc can check you aren't deficient in anything and that your thyroid is functioning OK?

Hurdity x