Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NICE report this morning  (Read 6938 times)

dazned

NICE report this morning
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »

Just watching breakfast news this morning and there was a report about how women have been suffering in silence and that GPs have been complicit in this !
I have to go to work soon but it will be discussed again with a Gp at 0810 hope someone sees it and reports later what was said. :-\

rebelyell

Re: NICE report this morning
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »

I saw it - there was a women on who had suffered in silence for 10 years and it had nearly cost her marriage.  Then a GP, but she didn't say much that was earth-shatteringly new.  Just that the NICE guidelines will make it easier/clearer for GPs to see what they should be doing and what is on offer. 

I have just been to a new GP surgery in an effort to find a sympathetic GP - mine is female, but younger and just alternates 'well let's go back on the HRT' with 'try ADs for hot flushes' and if mention health anxiety she just says 'well, you've probably always been a worrier'.   

On a funny note, I went for first talking therapy session today after a weekend of hellish, full-on panic attacks.   I was spot on time at 9.15am but no therapist answered the door.  When I phoned she told me the appt was 9.15pm!!   My fault - the e-mail clearly says 9.15pm but I had automatically assumed it would be morning!!   But - it did prove to me how powerful the mind is - I have had three e-mails giving that time and not once have I noticed the 'pm'.   So I am now quite positive that the mind can be re-trained!

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »

;D We've all made that kind of mistake!

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »

At least you got the day right  ;D

Honeyb
x

peegeetip

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:29:42 AM »

"too many have suffered in silence.
too many health professionals have been complicit in allowing this to happen.
"

by guess what ? by not offering whats available!!!

A powerful message to those out there who have been scared, warned, avoided or ignored when it comes to treating their peri and meno!!!

Quote of the interview "I did not seek treatment as I did not think it would last 10 years!".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32956079

for those in the UK (and with a valid TV licence LOL)

:-*
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:34:45 AM by peegeetip »

angelindskiexx

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »

Thank you for posting this AND the link.  After I watched it I felt very emotional.  Why are women allowed to suffer this curse?  It disrupts our lives!  Sorry ladies, I'm feeling very hormonal today and frustrated.  I'm so sick of hearing about the menopause being a natural process.... Well, so is dying......   10 years is a long time..... all those lost years.....  it isn't fair.

ancient runner

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »

Someone has posted a link to the BBC news story on my Facebook. The accompanying photo has two pairs of hands in. One is presumably meant to be those of the doctor. The other pair looks roughly 80 years old and very helpless. They just don't get it do they?

angelindskiexx

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »

I noticed that too! And, no, they don't get it. Xx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

I think the hands are of the husband and wife who feature in the video in the link.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

Listening to them talking it is good to hear that she is now having a good life after menopause. Of course being on HRT I haven't even started the journey to the "other side" yet and do wonder whether, when I get to seventy, I'll be strong enough to cope with it all if I have to stop HRT. I still find that HRT doesn't make me feel like I used to feel - it's not a magic potion - but hopefully more women will be given the choice as to what to do at this stage of their lives.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »

Here is the link to the draft recommendations - I haven't had time to listen to the BBC item nor read the report...
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-cgwave0639/resources/menopause-draft-guideline-nice2

Here is the detailed report with a summary of all the research they used to inform the recommendations:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-cgwave0639/resources/menopause-full-guideline2

It's out for consultation with stakeholders from today until 13th July.

Hurdity  x

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »

Thanks for posting the links Hurdity.

I had a brief (very brief, I must emphasise) glance at the documents.
Looking at the Care Pathway, it was good to see that the menopause should be considered as a possibility from the age of 40. This is a major step forward from being told meno doesn't start before 50!

dazned

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the link Hurdity ,its looking promising ladies.  :)

lancashirelass

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »

I couldnt see.anything re surgical in the docs though v disappointing

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »

1.3.8 in the draft report is encouraging for those of us with loss of libido.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2