Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How to work out which is the best HRT for me?  (Read 2191 times)

Momo

How to work out which is the best HRT for me?
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »

Hello
I wonder if anyone can advise me? I have been struggling with menopausal symptoms for a few years now. I am 45 and Doctor has confirmed I am menopausal despite having the odd period every 6 months or so. At the end of last year I started taking sage drops and menopause support supplements to help with hot flushes and cramps. They have really helped. I exercise frequently and eat well but what they haven't helped is the other symptoms: loss of libido, painful /dry vagina, vaginal sebaceous cysts, very low bleak moods , dry mouth, hairy face!!! anxiety, fog brain and insomnia.
what a bloomin list eh? I thought I was doing OK until my hubby sat me down the other week and said that I really wasn't right and I should stop putting up with the way things were.

I was prescribed vaginal pessaries last year to help with dryness but I could not bear to insert them- but then again I have never been able to insert a tampon, so I don't know why I let the GP talk me into that one! I did try but I just felt terrible.

Anyway I think the time has come to try HRT but I am very worried about trying it. How did the ladies who take HRT decide? There seem to be so many different types.

I have never had children and I chose to be sterilized in 2007 as so many of the contraceptives I tried made me feel ill too. That is partly why I worry, if I had such a terrible reaction to contraceptives such as: Depo-Provera and the Mirena coil (I can't remember all the others I tried) what will I be like when I start taking those sorts of hormones again?
I was fat, depressed and had diabolical acne and migraines that lasted for weeks ....and I really don't want to go back to those days.

Can anyone give me advice about how best to approach my GP ( who is generally a good bloke and has been very supportive over the years) Do I have to resign myself to a series of chemical experiments?
I know I don't want to take HRT made from pregnant mares urine - is that the one they call Prempak?

but is there anything else I should think to ask when I go and see him to kick start the whole thing off?

thanks for any advice you can give and sending some positive vibes to other ladies who might need it.

Momo

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How to work out which is the best HRT for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:25:28 PM »

Peri-menopause - where you probably are right now as you are having intermittent bleeds - is a great learning curve!  Have you looked at the menus, top of screen?  You will get a variation of the types of HRT etc., so make notes. Keeping a food/mood diary can help too, it gives a sense of 'normality'!

Ask away.  As for vaginal atrophy, we have several threads on that one - I didn't find the pessaries difficult, are you sexually active? maybe your husband would put them inside for you.  I use mine at night so that they are absorbed correctly and there is little mess ;-).  There is no way I could tolerate the feeling of razor blades 'up there'  >:(

There are several knowledgeable ladies here with HRT experience who I am sure will be along.  If you use the 'search' box too it will throw up the threads of the topic you are interested in.

Momo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »

Hi CLKD
thanks for the suggestions. I will look at threads,

Hubby and I are sexually active  in a way.... but I have a condition called vestibulodynia - which means getting anything 'in there' is a challenge  and causes as lot of pain and distress.. imagine the fun and games I have with smears  :) we have to be creative but it takes at least 30 mins  ' warming up" to get me in a condition where he can insert anything. When we have sex we give ourselves time and lubrication and we get there in the end.
The condition was worse when I was using contraception and if I am tired and has got worse since my menopause kicked in. I am such a wonkey donkey  ;D

Eventually I  did manage to get  some in my self, for about a week, after some effort, but  I felt worse that when I didn't have them, vagina swollen and even more sensitive than before and I felt generally rubbish, heart palpitations, pains in legs  etc so I didn't even feel any benefit after all the struggle
Like I said I was daft to let my GP suggest it. I have heard that the pessaries do help, just not my thing. Hey ho, at least the forum and you lovely ladies give me hope of a breakthrough

take care
Momo

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »

Hi Momo

I am perimenopausal too.
I started off with the pills, femoston 1/10
They are a bio identical oestrogen and a synthetic progestin that is tolerated my most women.
I tried these for three months, then went up a dose to 2/10 and tried that for another three months.
Sadly I could not absorb the pills, but that is quite rare aparently.
I then went onto the patches and utrogestan, the patches are evorel.
After starting at 50mcg and trying each dose out, I am now settled on 100mcg patches.
As CKLD said it's trial and error.
It's up to you which one you start with really.
There are a couple of types of oral hrt and different patches for peri women but they can all be found in the info on this site.
Best of luck.