Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Follicular, mid cycle or luteal??  (Read 2219 times)

Chi chi

Follicular, mid cycle or luteal??
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »

Sorry for yet another post  :-\ but I'm just trying to figure something out? 
My very first Oestradiol test was 125 pmol/L, I had just started a period/bleed on the day it was taken. The ranges say

Follicular 46-607
Mid cycle 315-1828
Luteal 161-774
Post meno <201

I don't seem to fall into any of these categories as they're either before or after menstruation? Which should I go by?

Thanks  :)

Hurdity

Re: Follicular, mid cycle or luteal??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »

Hi Estelle

In broad terms the follicular phase is Day 1-14, and lutel phase is Day 15 -28 with ovulation occurring in the middle - although it looks like some classifications exclude menstruation from the follicular phase.

The reference ranges for the follicular phase are usually taken from Day 5. If your blood level was measured on Day 1 then that would have been when estradiol was at its lowest level in the cycle. One blood test though is not definitive as there is so much variation and also there is a diurnal rhythm too ( ie 24 hour variation).

If you look at information on this website it is suggested that blood tests (re menopause) are done between the 3rd and 5th Day and it is likely your levels would have been higher by then.

What are you wanting to find out?

Hurdity x

Chi chi

Re: Follicular, mid cycle or luteal??
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »

Thanks Hurdity  :) just wanted to get an idea of how low I was before starting treatment back in June last year, Studd said I was on the "low" end of normal. It had risen to 1001 by September but no idea what it is now since being on the implant, will hopefully find out on Monday.

Thanks again  :)