Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Interesting article on Marian Keyes experience of mid-life melt down  (Read 3274 times)

Greenfields

In my quest for information on mid-life melt downs, I came across this article on Marian Keyes experience - thought I'd post the link here as it might be of interest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2203593/My-midlife-meltdown-MARIAN-KEYES-tells-terrifying-story-detailing-reality-breakdown.html

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Interesting article on Marian Keyes experience of mid-life melt down
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »

:thankyou:

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »

Oh my goodness, what she has written really resonates with me. What I have experienced over the last 18 months hasn't been so severe but I really recognise much of what she describes. Especially that awful fear she describes, even though there's nothing to actually be frightened of. And I have found that I can't really read much either anymore. Only a few very familiar books.

When I'm 'bad' the thought of trying anything new, or going somewhere different is literally terrifying. But thank God it isn't constant like it seems to be for poor Marion.

I was very intrigued to see that her GP diagnosed her as menopausal only a year after her breakdown occurred. Interesting. Does anyone know how she is feeling now, as that article is a couple of years old.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »

The more I think of it, the more I am convinced that Marion was peri menopausal.

Her description of the first time she suddenly felt terrified at her 'shed' party and feeling disconnected from her husband was just like the first taste of peri Hell for me.

We had just pulled up outside a bar where we were meeting friends for dinner and I suddenly felt very scared and really didn't want to go in and see them all. I wanted to go home and hide on the sofa. Just out of the blue like that  :( Just like her.

Greenfields

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »

Well here's a link to an article published in 2013 which comes after the Daily Mail article:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/apr/21/marian-keyes-depression-mercy-close-interview

I have to say when I read the online Daily Mail article I thought she was definitely perimenopausal - and that it was partly a hormonal imbalance thing - that's why I decided to post it here ... but its interesting that that aspect isn't really fully examined in the article.

SallyG

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 06:59:58 AM »

Greenfields,
that is incredible. Everything she is describing is exactly what I went through in the early stage of my episode. Exactly. Except I didn't buy scapules to slash my wrists. I did tell my husband I felt suicidal though…he was half asleep and really annoyed with me. Everything still frightens me, good and bad. But I have to push myself out of the door. I don't have access to a therapist that I know of who is "terrific". And I do want to spend my life hiding at home.But that is a waste of ability to help others.So I am trying to appear normal. God if men only knew what we went through and women who don't suffer this hellish anxiety and fear and depression. Maybe, things could be different for us. I think I mentioned the Dr I met on wednesday night who is bi-polar. She had a very understanding employer I think.
We march on….

Greenfields

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »

Hugs to you SallyG xxx

You are being brave getting out the door and facing your fears - keep reminding yourself there's a hormonal component to your anxiety - it's not you.

Have you tried getting a yoga DVD and doing some yoga at home?  Something gentle?  It might help with the anxiety.

I say this because I've restarted my own home yoga practice and am already noticing that my body seems to be a bit better - altho' its early days yet (only done it 2 days in a row). But it seems to soothe my nervous system a bit.

I have a lot of nice yoga DVDs so I'm fortunate and most of them are US - so I'm not that familiar with UK DVDs otherwise I'd recommend one.