Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and Gynest  (Read 4735 times)

Zoe Zebra

Vagifem and Gynest
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »

Just to ask... I have "come off" Gynest Estriol cream, and want to try Vagifem pessaries - I found the cream too messy - the doc has given me Vagifem pessaries - 10mcg dosage twice a week.  Is that ok?  The Gynest was 0.01 Estriol - are the Vagifem better?  She did the px over the phone, so haven't spoken to her.  Previously was applying the Gynest cream once a week.   :-\

Taz2

Re: Vagifem and Gynest
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »

Hi Zoe - the usual dosage is one pessary a night for the first fourteen nights and then twice a week. It is important to do the first fourteen days. It should say that in the instruction leaflet too. I hope it works for you - it did for me.

Taz x

Suzi Q

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »

Taz is 10% right
Do one a night for 14 days then twice a week
Its a different thing from Ortho I have used that and like you MESSY YUK!!!
You are so lucky your GP gave it to you over the phone
Some ladies have to fight like hell to get it xxxxxxxxxx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:51 AM »

Suzi Q - do you mean 100% right  ;D ;D ;D

Taz x

Zoe Zebra

Vagifem and Gynest
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »

Thanks guys - have only just come off the Gynest - last time used was Monday 18 May, and had "built up the wall" so to speak, and was just using it every Monday. So... do I still need to use every night for 2 weeks (which is what I did with the Gynest, when I first started using, and then dropped down to twice a week..) or shall I just use it the same as I did the Gynest recently, just twice or once a week.  I know when you first start using these things, you have to build up, but just not sure if I need to do the "whole build up" thing again, or if I do, will it do any harm?

Also, is Vagifem different from Gynest, and in what way?

Is the dosage more too with Vagifem than Gynest?

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »

TAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ANSWERS PLEASE and yea 10000000%

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »

Hi Zoe Zebra

I get what you're saying.

Both preparations are designed to do the same job at the dose given. The dosage can't be compared because Vagifem contains estradiol and Gynest/Ovestin contain estriol.  The vaginal tissues (and I presume the bladder/urethral area?) contain two types of oestrogen receptor, alpha and beta. Estradiol binds to alpha receptors (not sure about beta ones?) but estriol only binds weakly to alpha recptors (approx 8 x weaker I think). However estriol binds well to beta receptors.

As you say the outcome is the same - plumped up tissues and changed acidity etc. Therefore - while as Taz says the normal procedure is at least 14 nights daily loading followed by twice weekly maintenance dose thereafter, you should be able to switch from twice weekly Gynest to twice weekly Vagifem I would have thought, since the tissues would be plumped up etc

HOWEVER you have only been taking the Gynest once a week and have already left it over a week since last dose, so personally I would do a proper re-load and then do the twice weekly, not once a week - to give max plumpness for your vag tissues!!

No it won't do any harm by the way...

No the dose is not different as explained above - both are the dose required to maintain plump tissues etc in a certain percentage of women ( according to trials). Some need more though.....

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »

Good explanation Hurdity! I think I was just off to pick up my son from the station and was rushing a bit.

Taz x  :)