Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Extremely Confused - PMS / Peri-Menopausal New Member!!!  (Read 2772 times)

Kaz D

Extremely Confused - PMS / Peri-Menopausal New Member!!!
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »

Hi Ladies, I am 53 and I am booked in to have my ovaries removed in August due to being diagnosed with severe PMS and hormonal migraines, which have been totally debilitating in both my home and work life. My symptoms have gradually increased over the last few years so I presume I am peri-menopausal. I have had treatments with Prostap and Zolidax Injections to stop my periods and see if it is my ovaries causing my symptoms. Whilst on the injections it was sheer bliss. I did experience hot flushes but compared with my monthly miseries I could cope. I have been prescribed HRT Livial, which I have not been taking due to feeling better than I have in years. Obviously after my operation I will go straight into surgical menopause.  I would prefer to take natural supplements rather than HRT, as I have two paternal Aunts who had breast cancer. I am aware that I would be at risk from osteoporosis, so have recently started taking calcium supplements hoping it will help. I am so confused about the whole menopause/HRT topic and would value any advice received through the forum. Many thanks for reading my post.  :-\

dazned

Re: Extremely Confused - PMS / Peri-Menopausal New Member!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »

Hi Kas D  :welcomemm:

I've not had any experience of this but some on here have ,I'm sure that they will be along soon with some good advice.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »

Hi Kaz D

:welcomemm: from me too

I don't have any experience of this injection either, but ovary removal does sound like a drastic step especially at your age, as you are probably pretty near actual natural menopause. You may find that after surgical menopause the shock to your body is so great that the hot flushes and dip in mood become unbearable without HRT.

Also having aunts with breast cancer does not necessarily preclude you from having HRT - unless you definitely have the gene concerned ie have been tested for it, and are therefore at risk. It seems to me that a course of transdermal HRT would be preferable to surgery if you can - but of course I am not you, and do not have your problems. I'm afraid that natural supplements won't actually help in the same way - although of course for those who have actaully had breast cancer, this is their only option.

Do have a read about HRT from the menus at the top and ask us anything specific and we will try to help!

I am sure others will be along with advice too!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »

PS Do have a read of this article about peri-menopause on this site:  :)
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

Kaz D

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »

Hi Hurdity, many thanks for your reply. Yes it is extreme to have them removed but I do have regular heavy periods and severe PMT symptoms for 10 to 14 days a month when not on the injections. I will have a read of the article as suggested.  :)

Kaz D

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »

Ps by the way what is transdermal HRT? x

dazned

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »

It's an adhesive patch that sticks to your skin and slowly releases the hrt direct into your system at a accurate measured dose .