Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Dr's Appoint to Change HRT  (Read 5367 times)

Tangerinedreams

Dr's Appoint to Change HRT
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »

Hi all, I am coming to the end of my 3 months supply of Prempak C 0.625mg.  I have felt so much better since starting on HRT, but have had some symptoms whilst taking the progesterone tablets in Prempak.

I've had quite heavy bleeding at the end of the tablets, stomach cramps, like bad period pains, and needing to go for a wee more often! I've read up on this, and note that the prog is like a mild directic.  Anyway, I need some advice about how to go down the bio-identical route.  I would like to try Femoston 1/10 or was wondering if I will need 2/10?  I am 46 and have been in peri for about 6 months or so.  No hot flushes, but was getting severe PMS and irregular periods, aching back and mood swings.  All these have gone since taking Prempak.

Is Femoston available on the NHS,  does it have any other names?  I feel I have been given Prempak to save money, as I see its cheaper for them to supply.  I am worried she won't let me change, is there anything else I can say to help my case?  I am not happy with it being made from pregnant mares urine and was wondering whether to mention this, along with my symptoms.

Thanks in advance for your help.

pepperminty

Re: Dr's Appoint to Change HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »

Hi ,

I was on prempac last year and I had bad side effects from the progesterone. I have changed to Femosten. It is available on the NHS. If you want to stay on the same dosage you need to ask for 2/10. The site map at the top of the page will take you to HRT for peri menopause, where it tells you what types are available.
Good luck

Peppermintyxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »

Glad that some of your symptoms have improved.  Have a browse of the menus as suggested and make notes.  Ask the GP how other ladies have fared on the various treatments, don't be confrontational as many Practices do prescribe according to what the medication costs!

Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »

Hi Tangerinedreams

Just to add that the oestrogen in Femoston is estradiol which is bio-identical but the progestogen is synthetic - it is known as dydrogesterone. However it is the closest to natural (bio-identical) progesterone that you can get in combi tablet form.

Just to contradict CLKD - absolutely stick your ground. You have a right to the medication you want and need. State your reasons as you have done on here - ie not happy with pregnant mare's urine (surely this should be enough?!) and that you experienced side effects with that progestogen ( as well as the dydrogesterone in Femoston being closest to progesterone itself).  Say it confidently and don't be fobbed off. S** the cost!  :)

Hurdity x

justaboutcoping

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:54:39 PM »

Hi Tangerinedreams

Just to say first thing I told my GP was I didn't want any HRT from pregnant mares (mainly because of the welfare issues for the mares and foals). She didn't bat an eyelid and was happy to prescribe the HRT I asked for ( which all the info on this great site helped me decide on :) )

No harm in asking :) good luck! X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »

I didn't suggest not standing her ground, but don't be confrontational or it can put 'backs up'  ::)

Tangerinedreams

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »

Thankyou everyone for your replies.  I will let you know how I get on.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

Please do! 

Tangerinedreams

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »

Well it was a good result at my Dr's appointment.  I said I was feeling much better on HRT but not when taking the progesterone tablets and said I'd been doing a lot of research and come up with what would be better for me.  I said I wanted to try Femoston as it was bio-identical and she got her book out to look it up.  Then she said ok but I will put you on the 1/10 as you were on 0.625 with the Prempak so I just agreed with her. She said it would be a higher dose than the Prempak and should help with any hot flushes etc.  She said to keep an eye out for DVT as the progesterone in Femoston is more likely to cause this.  She then checked my weight and blood pressure, all ok.  I've just started on them so will see how it goes.

After reading the leaflet inside the box it says Femoston 1/10 is prescribed for post menopausal women who have not had a bleed for at least 6 months.  Does anyone know why it says this when they do a continuous version as well, I thought the 1/10 and 2/10 were for peri. 

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »

Absolutely Tangerine Dreams - 1/10 is a cyclical HRT. The leaflet must be wrong!

I've just had a look online and it says that Femoston 1/10 and 2/10 are for women who have been 6 months without a period - but calls them post-menopausal! Just ignore this clumsy and imprecise writing on the leaflet and it's fine. There are two types of tablet - the oestrogen only, and then the combi tabs with oestrogen and the progestogen.

I wonder how many other women are confused by this - I think there was someone the other day on here too!

Your doc is wrong about the strength - it's actually probably not as strong as the Prempak you were taking which is classed as medium dose, whereas Femoston 1/10 is low dose. You can't compare the horse oestrogen dose with estradiol and she was trying to compare them directly as Prempak is 0.625 mg vs Femoston 1 mg. The horse oestrogens are stronger than estradiol. Hopefully the 1/10 will control your symptoms but do not hestitate to ask for a higher dose if not.

Good luck with it anyway and hope it works for you. Do keep us posted!  :)

Hurdity x