Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Does Perimenopause make your immune system worse?  (Read 9459 times)

Chocolatechaos

Does Perimenopause make your immune system worse?
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »

Hi all, random question but since I have started perimenopause I find that I am more prone to coughs and colds. I have a young family with three in infants school so they bring home a wide variety of bugs to share. I did seem to be better at working through cold viruses etc but now I find I am shattered more and need to rest. I do worry about my sickness record at work since meno started. I take menopace which has multivitamins in it, not sure if it really helps!! Does anyone else find this?

Suzi Q

Re: Does Perimenopause make your immune system worse?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »

I dont know how old you are love but with 3 kids in infant school (under 7?)
Its no wonder your knackered and with PRE MENOPAUSE draining you
As for immune system to be honest I dont have a clue. PLus we are all getting olderrrrrr.
Its harder to shake things off as we age at 20 cold sod it u ignored it went out in teeny tops in 5F
30 well you wore a Jacket
40 a Coat
50 Coat scarf gloves
60 sod it stay in heheheheh

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:02 PM »

I agree with Suzi Q that you will be exhausted with 3 little ones! Also as you say they are bringing back bugs - I got them all the time when my lot were small - and I hardly ever get them now because I don't mix with snuffly little people!

Don't worry about it unduly - but I wouldn't stay off work with a cold unless you work in close proximity eg with vulnerable people (eg elderly) or it's actually flu. I usually found that Lemsip etc would help me get through the night and if necessary a couple of paracetamol in the day. Eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and not much processed food, and as much fresh air and exercise that you can! In terms of rest - go to bed earlier once you've got your little ones in bed, so that you can have plenty of rest.  :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »

My DH ate Marmite on toast for breakfast for 3-4 years and NEVER had 1 cold  ;)

I think we become aware of more as peri begins, also if you have 3 smalls around the place, you may feel more tired = low immunity.  Maybe a Multi-Vit.?

Also more 'me' time  ;)

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:12:11 AM »

Hi all, I am just 41 with three littlies aged 5 and 6. The trio are a treasure box of germ delights so hopefully it is just the constant introduction to bugs that is causing this. If I did an office job I would go in armed with lemsips but I work in hospital with vulnerable surgical patients. I need to be on the ball and it is a demanding job. I have had time off for perimenopausal things although now I am on hrt I am trying not to be assent as i understand the symptoms more. Yes I am tired with my little trio and I never thought children could sap your energy so much! I am on a multivitamin with iron as my ferritin was low, I must get that rechecked soon. Thank you for your replies, suziq I think I have hit the 60s before my time lol.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »

When mine we little I even used to catch their headlice !

Annie xx

dogdoc

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »

Yes. Particularly in perimenopause its not just your ovarian hormones that are out of whack but also your adrenal hormones, and often your thyroid hormones as well. Cortisol is increased in this stage ( hello anxiety) and cortisol plays a rather important function in your immune system, as does your thyroid,  and overall health. So you are absolutely more likely to pick up infections, have a more difficult time clearing infections, as well has having an increase in inflammatory issues ( such as asthma, eczema etc) due to histamine relesase.

Good times!!
Tara

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »

I never had headlice or intestinal worms even though my parents were teachers  ;D PHEW!

If only I could get the energy out of what 'smalls' consume and what my dogs eat  ::) I'd be winning  :D