Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vagifem Substitute?  (Read 5513 times)

Mich12

Vagifem Substitute?
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:01 AM »

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a medicine that would work just as good as Vagifem and be a simple tablet insert verses a messy cream insert as I currently use Vagifem but my insurance stopped covering it and it costs $150.00 US each month. That is more than I can afford for 8 pills a month.  :o I use Vagifem for chronic yeast infection prevention, UTI prevention, and to ease dryness and it works sooooo well. I am sad my insurance won't cover it anymore. :(

Thank You. :)

Ju Ju

Re: Vagifem Substitute?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:09:26 AM »

Poor you. I had a look at USA prices for vagifem on the internet. You are right. 8 vagifem tablets costs $150, which is in the region of £100, yet the price over here in the uk according to this site is £16.75 for 24 (May have misquoted the pence- meno memory) which is in the region of $20. This is outrageous.

Suzi Q

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »

Mich tried internet Canada? I know my neice lives in NY state 40mins from Canada
She travels to Canada to buy medicines which cost an arm and a leg in USA
How do u cope with only 8 in a Pack they come in strips of 5 or 6? Do they rip one off?
Or are they specifically done for USA and MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!
Do you have Orthogynest pressaries in USA? But I dont think they are the same preparation?
Sorry theres nothing else I know of. You may just have to BITE the bullet cut back as much as u can
AND just buy them. YOUR health is more important than anything else Did ur HMO
 isnt it called that in USA? Give u a reason why they stopped subsidy? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »

we need dogdoc here  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »

Orthogynest pessaries are less messy than cream and do the same job ( although they are estriol not estradiol as in Vagifem). However they were discontinued here last year and I think it was manufacturing that stopped rather than there being unavailable in UK. Unfortunately as far as I know there is only Vagifem and the estriol creams in terms of pessaries/creams.

I think in US there is Estrace cream - but this will also be messy. The only other alternative is the Estring (vaginal ring) which may well be available in America, This lasts 3 months and delivers a slow release of oestrogen (estradiol). Might be cheaper in the long run? I don't know ho wmuch it costs. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/effective-treatments-for-sexual-problems/vaginal-and-vulvar-comfort-lubricants-moisturizers-and-low-dose-vaginal-estrogen

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

I use my preparation at night so that laying down stops seepage  ;)

Mich12

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:55 PM »

Thank you for your reply. It sure is outrageously priced. :( I called my doctor and she said I could go down to taking it just once a week to save some money but I am afraid to do that as it may make me dry again and make the yeast and/or UTI infections come back. :(

Poor you. I had a look at USA prices for vagifem on the internet. You are right. 8 vagifem tablets costs $150, which is in the region of £100, yet the price over here in the uk according to this site is £16.75 for 24 (May have misquoted the pence- meno memory) which is in the region of $20. This is outrageous.

Mich12

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »

Mich tried internet Canada? I know my neice lives in NY state 40mins from Canada
How do u cope with only 8 in a Pack they come in strips of 5 or 6? Do they rip one off?
Do you have Orthogynest pressaries in USA? But I dont think they are the same preparation?
Sorry theres nothing else I know of. You may just have to BITE the bullet cut back as much as u can
 isnt it called that in USA? Give u a reason why they stopped subsidy? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. :) I will check out Canada and see if I can get it there. I am in Ohio and I have a cousin in NY that loves taking trips to Canada so she would probably be able to get it for me there.

My Vagifem comes in a box with just 8 tubes with the pill inside already. They packaged in a perforated way so you just tear one off the pack. Our pharmacist just puts 8 in the box. My insurance is a PPO and they gave me no reason, just that they won't cover it anymore. :(

Mich12

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »

Orthogynest pessaries are less messy than cream and do the same job ( although they are estriol not estradiol as in Vagifem). However they were discontinued here last year and I think it was manufacturing that stopped rather than there being unavailable in UK. Unfortunately as far as I know there is only Vagifem and the estriol creams in terms of pessaries/creams.

I think in US there is Estrace cream - but this will also be messy. The only other alternative is the Estring (vaginal ring) which may well be available in America, This lasts 3 months and delivers a slow release of oestrogen (estradiol). Might be cheaper in the long run? I don't know ho wmuch it costs. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/effective-treatments-for-sexual-problems/vaginal-and-vulvar-comfort-lubricants-moisturizers-and-low-dose-vaginal-estrogen

Hurdity x

Thank you so much! :) My doctor told me she wants to keep me on Vagifem even if I just take one a week verses the two I take a week now. I decided I will just bite the bullet and buy it as it helps me sooooooo much. I am going to look into Canada though.

I appreciate the info, thank you again. :)

Mich12

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »

I use my preparation at night so that laying down stops seepage  ;)

Thank you! :) I used to do that with the one medicine I used for yeast infections before the Diflucan pill I now take once a week.

Suzi Q

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »

OURS COMES IN A LONG BOX WITH 3 STRIPS OF 6 each x10m in Ozz we still have 25m x2x7days
Our applicators are pre loaded and u open the covering and insert the applicator and click Vagi in x

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. :) I will check out Canada and see if I can get it there. I am in Ohio and I have a cousin in NY that loves taking trips to Canada so she would probably be able to get it for me there.

My Vagifem comes in a box with just 8 tubes with the pill inside already. They packaged in a perforated way so you just tear one off the pack. Our pharmacist just puts 8 in the box. My insurance is a PPO and they gave me no reason, just that they won't cover it anymore. :(