Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Endometrial biopsy.  (Read 5120 times)

angelindskiexx

Endometrial biopsy.
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:46:22 PM »

Hi guys
Had an endometrial biopsy yesterday which was so unpleasant I nearly passed out.  :( Most of your know of my history regarding heavy menstrual bleeding so I won't go into too much detail. The last endo biopsy I had was in approx 2010. Anyway, the doctor said it is not normal to be bleeding at 54 years old and wanted to do the biopsy straight away. The lining of the womb was measured via ultrasound which was 6mm..... the same as it was a few years ago.  Now I'm terrified I have something horrid going on. My recent period was heavy but not as heavy as it has been in the past.  I did bleed for 3 weeks and now nothing except for the slight bleeding from the endometrial procedure.  Is anyone still having irregulAr bleeding in their mid 50s? I've been through so much this past several months and now I have to wait for the results.  I don't do well with medical stuff.

Blessings to all of you.

Jess x

Oh and another thing.... I feel so crap after the procedure yesterday.... thought I'd start feeling a bit better, but I'm tired, sore and feel generally unwell.  Is that normal afterwards?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:49:05 PM by angelindskiexx »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Endometrial biopsy.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »

I would think it is perfectly normal, it's quite a stressful process and invasive.  6mm sounds 'about right'.  I am sure that if the examiner saw a problem you would have been told. 

Why isn't it normal to bleed at 54?  If a lady is having periods then  :-\.  Your GP can give you medication to stop prolonged bleeding but of course, meno-brain here forgets the name of the product  ::)

Take some Nurofen type meds and have a rest  :tulips:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:01:41 PM »

Hi anglelindskiexx - There have been a few ladies posting on MM recently who are still getting periods in their late 50s  - the average age for meno is now between 51-54 I believe, so you are well within the the norm.  I don't understand why your doctor is so worried.  It is also quite common to have heavier and erratic bleeds throughout the peri meno stage. If your lining was 6mm that doesn't sound too much.  Have they suggested a Mirena to help control the bleeds? It's not a bad thing to have a biopsy done for peace of mind but you are describing quite common problems at the normal age to be going through the late peri meno stage.
I do hope everything is ok.  DG x

Machair

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:15:48 PM »

Jess my heart goes out to you. I am 55 and also still in perimenopause. I have read widely up about it all and used to be a gynae nurse in London. It appear to me that the opinions differ widely about the age you should see no more bleeding. I have shied away from seeing the GP as I am sure I will be in for what you have endured, which is peace of mind for a degree of pain discomfort and anxiety. However I have come close to making an appointment, so whether you were right to seek help or not who knows? I may be following you soon!

All I do know is that those with periods that were longer apart through adult life like mine, that were 35 days and not 28 finish later in general. Family history also affects this- my Great Gran had a baby at 49. However periods lasting longer, being heavier and spotting can all signal endometrial abnormalities so maybe it is right to check things out to make sure. The other important aspect is that bleeding following high oestrogen signs is less of a worry than spotting out of the blue.

My last period was in late November but I am having the worst PMT on the planet right now so here we go again. I was 55 in March.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »

PMT can be eased by eating every 3 hours.  Every day.  The idea is not to add to the diet but to spread what the person eats through 24 hours, even in the night  ;)

Machair

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »

Yes that is exactly what I do  :( Minor relief for a bit but not for long, and my diet is really healthy and vegetarian too, so no idea which hormone is responsible! Walking helps good thing I have a dog- she loves going out!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »

Bananas are slow release.  Granola.  Porridge  :-X.  Lots of good veggies - there are several curry recipes which are filling.  Pancakes?

Machair

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:18 PM »

Yes I eat all those all the time. Does anyone know what hormone or lack of it causes PMT as I have suffered all my life and it is so much worse now?

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »

Hello angelindskie.

Your post got me thinking. My last period was a mini version five years ago when I was 54 and up until a few months before that my cycle had been regular with heavy bleeds so I don't think you are that unusual. Also I recently chatted to a lady who at 57 suddenly started menstruating again after quite a break and when it was all checked out everything was normal!

I know the average age of the menopause is 51/52 but averages reflect a wide range of experience, from very early to very late cycles so I'm sure there are many women similar to you.

I'm sure your results will be fine and I'm not surprised you are feeling rough.

Sending best wishes and take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »

Machair - look at the NAPS web-site which is where I got my info from  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »

Mahcair - PMT or rather PMS encompasses all the symptoms women can experience during the second half of the menstrual cycle and in our fertile years, what happens from week 14 onwards for the next fortnight in an average 28 day cycle is: Oestrogen drops dramatically after ovulation and then rises a little a few days later and then drops away until Day 28. Bleed starts Day 1 and oestrogen starts to rise - many women not experiencing the benefit of the rise until several days into the cycle.

Also after ovulation progesterone rises rapidly to a peak around day 21 and then decreases quickly if the egg isn't fertilised which triggers the bleed (ie the reduction in progesterone).

Different women are sensitive to different aspects of this and pms can be a combination of the reduction in oestrogen (causing low mood, anxiety) the increase in progesterone (fatigue, depression, headaches, bloating) or the progesterone withdrawal just before the bleed and perhaps a couple of days into it - classic pmt - tension, irritability, headache etc.

Sensitive and painful boobs in the second half of the cycle will be due to the progesterone increase. However during early peri-menopause there are sometimes large sudden increases in oestrogen - more than usual which can also cause painful boobs!

Minefield innit?!

Angelindskiexx - sorry to hear your biopsy was painful > i had one a couple of years ago and barely felt a thing. Did they ask you to take Ibuprofen and paracetamol an hour before your appt - my leaflet said this and I'm sure that prevented my feeling any pain. From what I gather reading on here women's experience of this is partly down to the skill of the doctor. How strange for the doctor to say this. If the average age on menopause is 51-52 then this is what it says - an average - at which age a certain percentage of women will have reached menopause. An average means there will be women above and below this as can be seen from the posts below!! My last natural period was just under 54 and I didn't bat an eyelid nor did I seek help. I didn't go the doctor about it despite not having had a period for 5 months - I just thought I was menopausal.  I went onto HRT 5 months after that but may well have had more periods. Good to get checked out if you are offered it though anyway just in case.

I assume they also did a hysteroscopy as well to look at the lining? Heavy bleeding can be caused by small fibroids or polyps - and fibroids are usually ignored if they are small. When I had mine I gave consent for polyps to be removed if they found any while doing the hyster, but only a small fibroid was found.

I hope you feel better soon and your results come back normal!

Hurdity  x

Machair

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »

Hurdity and CLKD you are both absolute stars for giving up your time to answer my questions. I can't thank you both enough for taking up your time - it is appreciated so much. :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »

That's OK!  Now you can decide which hints suit you  ;)

angelindskiexx

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »

Guys,
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my posts here.  I meant to write earlier but since the endometrial biopsy I haven't been the same.  I've been resting in bed for a week with bloating and fatigue/tiredness.  I done know what the hell happened to me but I didn't have a reaction like this to the first biopsy I had.

I need to call for the results today but I'm scared. I just feel so weak and crap.  I don't have any infection... my temperature is normal although it was raised the day after the procedure. 

Why do I feel so crap?   :'(

Jess x